PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Light Decision

StingRay1969
08/07/2007, 03:42 PM
Starting my first SW tank. Have a 120 gallon reef ready that will start as a FOWLR but would like to eventually add an anenome and possibly corals down the road once I get comfortable.

The biggest hurdle for me has been lighting. What are you opinions of this setup for what I'm trying to do.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=333

To me it looks good but I thought the last setup I bought (48" Coralife Lunar Aqualight) was good until I looked into it a little further.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

seapug
08/07/2007, 03:50 PM
I have a similar sort of HQI/Actinic combo light and it's a great piece of equipment. If you're not an electrician and want a nice looking, worry free light solution they are the way to go. You can always play around with different bulbs and combinations to get the look you want.

theatrus
08/07/2007, 03:59 PM
They're not the best quality fixtures around (mainly in terms of part longevity), but they do work.

arts007
08/07/2007, 04:01 PM
Some of these lighting setups are not the greatest but for the price I suppose they are good, my fiances parents ordered the 72" model and the glass was broke (shipping issue) which they replaced. Then about 4 weeks later one of the ballasts started to go out, it would go off for 3 days then on for 3 days, Im sure there are better setups out there, but a little more expensive. Im not all that familiar with the metal halide systems that are already assembled as I always DIY mine.

jallen18
08/07/2007, 04:03 PM
48" 760W Metal Halide System (Electronic Version)

What does the "Electronic Version" mean in that product's name?

theatrus
08/07/2007, 04:24 PM
Aquatraders moved to an electronic ballast (probably to save on shipping cost more than anything). Their magnetic ballasts had problems with poor quality capacitors which smoldered prematurely. But I'm sure the part quality hasn't improved much.

StingRay1969
08/07/2007, 05:46 PM
My search for lighting continues.

DIY is probably the way to go since I'm building my own canopy. It just gets confusing matching the right light setup to meet my needs.

Now in search of the ideal retrofit light setup.

Mavrk
08/07/2007, 06:06 PM
Check out Reef Geek. People here pointed me in that direction, and I am very pleased with them.

Mavrk
08/07/2007, 06:06 PM
Sorry, got double posted.