PDA

View Full Version : Sea Squirt feeder

nterry
08/07/2007, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I have been considering purchasing a sea squirt feeder. Does anyone have any personal experiences with these (good or bad). Does it work better or worse than a turkey baster?

Thanks

nterry

Roy G. Biv
08/07/2007, 04:04 PM
These are awsome.. However I feel the ball is a little smaller than it should be, but I have a 30 inch tall tank and I could hit everywhere with it. I feed mysis as well and the hole is too small for that. I had to take a small finishing nail to make the hole slightly larger.

Candi
08/07/2007, 04:52 PM
Depends where & what you're feeding. Turkey baster is fine for large foods in a shallow tank but for feeding smaller/fine foods in a deep tank there's nothing else like it. I also agree the bulb is to small (careful squeezing or you'll leak smelly fish food on your hands, trust me I do it daily LOL) and I try not to extend mine to far as I think it causes more leaking.

I also enlarged the hole for mysis feeding (just rubbed the end of mine on some sandpaper)

A turkey baster really let out way to much food at once for me and wasn't long enough so by enlarging the hole on the seasquirt I found a good compromise.

dendro982
08/07/2007, 07:50 PM
Too thin hole in the tip to be useful, IMHE. Mysis is too big to pass through, at least my copy is made this way.
For shorter tanks (but then the whole idea of a long tool is lost) the lower tube can be removed and the cut plastic pipette may be attached.

Ended by making my own - 5/16" rigid acrylic tubing, heated and curved end, pilled it a little to make it narrower, cut the top of the tube for a height of the tank, and attached the squeezy part of baby nose sucker (sorry, don't remember the proper name).
Good enough for mysis, chopped seafood and ocean plankton.

Gary Majchrzak
08/07/2007, 07:56 PM
useful tool. Read:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=998669&highlight=sea+squirt

dendro982
08/08/2007, 08:55 AM
Beautiful photos there!
I should try to cut off the end of my SeaSquirt too.