PDA

View Full Version : drilled tank leaking

str8clownr
08/07/2007, 04:30 PM
Hey

my 65 AGA RR was recently moved back home... after setting it up i noticed my return tubing (starting from the return pump up to the bulkhead) was leaking,

after careful observation it is dripping about one drop every minute consistently, i noticed some of the wood by the bulkhead was also wet from the dripping,

now it has been dripping for about three weeks,

i need to stop this problem quickly does anyone know of anykind of glue or sealnt i should use to stop this problem dead in its tracks without breaking down the whole tank,...again

thanks alot

Randall_James
08/07/2007, 05:40 PM
normally you can just lower the water level, loosen up the fitting, wipe the surfaces clean and re-snug the fittings. (no sealant needed and do not overtighten the thing) This is provided it is leaking at th bulkhead where it goes through the glass. If it is the actual fitting, teflon tape works fine.

Aquarose
08/07/2007, 07:43 PM
Randall Has the solution.

Aquaman
08/07/2007, 08:17 PM
Everytime I rebuild or move a tank I always replace bulkheads just as a precaution. I would suggest draining it down and replacing it, If its just the bulkhead then you don't need to break down the whole tank just drain down the overflow and replace the bulkhead.

Aquarose
08/07/2007, 09:02 PM
I always add a light coat of silicone to the seal to prevent those leaks.

str8clownr
08/07/2007, 10:30 PM
ok thank you so much, so draining the overflow wont take water from the tank? and how much should something like that cost me? is it something that NEEDS to be taken care of immediately?

Aquarose
08/07/2007, 10:34 PM
You will have to stop your tank to drain the overflow. A new bulkhead is about $10 and silicone is $5 at home depot. If you use silicone, you MUST wait until it dries. If you add water while it is wet, it will kill your fish! it is toxic while wet.

If time is an issue, skip the silicone.