PDA

View Full Version : sharks and tangs?

AMD30
08/07/2007, 07:29 PM
HI, i have a foot long marbled cat shark and would like to fill my tank up with some tangs. wondering if i could have a stock list such as this in this order?

5 yellow or purple tangs(will they school in a 300?)
yellow eye
sailfin
naso
achilles
powder blue
pwdr brown

can all these fish co-exist?

Marc
08/07/2007, 07:50 PM
Sounds pretty good. What are you using for filtration? As for tangs to school they probably will in a group of five but be sure to add them at the same time in the tank so there are no fights over territory. Yellow and Purple Tangs can be very nasty when they fight. These fish should be fine but what size of fish are you looking into? Small or Large???

Marc

AMD30
08/07/2007, 09:15 PM
starting off small would be my favored option and let them mature a few years and if need be i would get another tank for any "bullies" and filitration is sump and fuge with 300 lbs lr and a bubblemaster skimmer

Marc
08/07/2007, 09:23 PM
Sounds great!!! Be sure to invest in a good UV Sterilizer and an ozone unit especially for fish only tanks where disease and dissolved organic content is often an issue. Especially with sharks and tangs which are prone to parasitic and bacterial infections.

Marc

TheSaltwaterGuy
08/08/2007, 11:27 AM
IMHO, 11 tangs are way too many for a 300.

I'm building a 1100g shark pond and am only putting in 5 tangs.

Marc
08/08/2007, 02:58 PM
I would have to disagree. I have seen a lot of setups that have ran successfully for years that were slightly overstocked. As long as you have enough territory and hiding places for them to claim they will be fine. A 300 gallon is pretty large and and I do believe he said he's going to start out with small fish anyway. They will do great in there.

bignick
08/08/2007, 05:20 PM
Just remeber you have a shark and small fish mean a possible dinner. As for schooling...i wouldn't bet that they will school for very long. Maybe at first but after a while they will split up and one will dominate the others if you do not give them sufficent hiding places or room to swim. You can do 5 different species of tangs in a tank but 11 total would be a litle crowded and if they have enough room they will grow quicker IME.

Hope this Helps

TheSaltwaterGuy
08/08/2007, 05:58 PM
Looks like me and Nick are on the same page.

DamnPepShrimp
08/08/2007, 08:01 PM
I agree too, way to many tangs. I'd cut the achilles out of the question too, they are too finicky. Also the sailfin and naso get huge, add that into the equation when they get older, 1 tangs will just be chaotic.

Marc
08/08/2007, 08:47 PM
In my extensive experience I have never ever had a problem keeping the same or different speices of tangs in the same tank. I have a sohal, Naso, Sailfin, 8" Imperator, Orange shoulder tang and two yellow tangs in the same tank. They don't fight at all and I never have any problems with aggression. So you can't just assume that it will not work. I used to have a brown banded bamboo shark and he was actually the terror that loved to knock rocks over and cause a huge mess with rock work and sand. So I finally had to sell him back to the LFS. He is now in there shark tank where I hear he is pretty happy.

Marc

AquaKnight
08/08/2007, 09:27 PM
Question, not to bash anyone or anything, but does someone have something to back up when they say sailfin's get huge? I've never come across one I wouldn't put in a 180gal.

Marc
08/08/2007, 09:34 PM
I have only seen them huge in the public aquarium. They were about 9 or 10 inches long. I have one in my tank and I have had him for 6 years and he has only grown to 6 inches. They do get quite large.

Marc

bigred16
08/08/2007, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10512166#post10512166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaKnight407
Question, not to bash anyone or anything, but does someone have something to back up when they say sailfin's get huge? I've never come across one I wouldn't put in a 180gal.
I had a 11-12" one for a while, before Velvet wiped hime and several other fish out in my 500, when he spread out he was quite big. If he was with few other smaller fish in a 180 maybe, but that wouldn't due any justice for a salfin that size, very active. (sorry I don't have any pic's camera in for repairs)

SDhky
08/08/2007, 10:05 PM
ya, a 300 is huge, go for it