PDA

View Full Version : What do I do if I cemented my bulkhead to a pipe incorrectly?

honda2sk
08/08/2007, 07:23 AM
I connected a drain pipe to my bulkhead in my overflow and the pipe is leaking. I need to remove this pipe and replace it but it is cemented. How do I remove the cement so I can replace the drain pipe?

oldimpala
08/08/2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-

You don't. You really didn't cement, you solvented the pieces together, which is basically saying chemically melted.... I've been working w/ PVC plumbing for years, and the only solution I've ever found is cut, and replace.

A future tip; if you adhere a screw in pipe together, try a little RTV (Aquarium Silicone) on the threads, it won't vibrate apart, can be removed in instances like this, and is a lot easier than Teflon tape to keep threaded in there.

-Andy/Oldimpala

AZDesertRat
08/08/2007, 08:26 AM
You don't. Thats why I only use threaded bulkheads and a very small amount of stick type teflon thread sealant. Its easy to disassemble if needed.

jerryz
08/08/2007, 08:34 AM
I use the solvent type but you just cut it off and put a different one in. They are cheap. Leave enough room to cut and reglue if there's an error. I use teflon on the threaded type. wont leak. keeps them from binding.

Entropy
08/08/2007, 08:35 AM
You get a new bulkhead. :(

Pvc welds are stronger than the PVC itself when done properly and will not come apart.

honda2sk
08/08/2007, 08:48 AM
doh!

thanks the help guys. its a flexible spa hose with a plastic 1 1/4" nozzle at the end so maybe I can just cut the nozzle in half and stick a pvc pipe and then a coupling and then connect that to different type of drain hose.

or maybe just screw the whole thing and get a new bulkhead.

Entropy
08/08/2007, 09:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10506101#post10506101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by honda2sk

or maybe just screw the whole thing and get a new bulkhead.

That would be my choice. To much risk involved to skimp in this area.

honda2sk
08/08/2007, 09:12 AM
shoot i cant remove the bulkhead because the nut is too small to go over all the fittings. do i have to hacksaw this whole contraption off?

oldimpala
08/08/2007, 09:15 AM
Probably....

Or some other form of cutting...

-Andy/Oldimpala