PDA

View Full Version : 7095 problem

TwistedTiger
08/08/2007, 09:00 AM
Recently my 7095 has started shutting down completely. I have 2 6000's on channel 1 and 1 6000 on channel 2. It will run fine for 30 minutes to a couple of hours and then goes completely dead, no lights and all pumps stop. If I unplug the stream from channel 2 it immediately powers back up and starts functioning properly including the lights saying channel 2 is operating as it should. Plug the stream back into channel 2 and it works for 30 minutes to a couple of hours and dead. Any ideas what's going on with it?

rvitko
08/08/2007, 09:24 AM
That is a new one by me. In general I find most multicontroller problems stem from either water damage or a bad cable. I got your email and it sounds like we can rule out water damage but you might try swapping cables. The other problem I have seen is the foodtimer cable getting pinched in the housing, if you use the foodtimer button periodically this could be the issue.

TwistedTiger
08/08/2007, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10506392#post10506392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
you might try swapping cables.
I have a spare and I'll try that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10506392#post10506392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
The other problem I have seen is the foodtimer cable getting pinched in the housing, if you use the foodtimer button periodically this could be the issue.
That's interesting and I do use the food timer twice a day. If swapping cables doesn't do it do suggest opening the housing and taking a look or not.

TwistedTiger
08/08/2007, 10:21 AM
Bad wire indeed!!!! Pulled the wire off the stream in question and found one part of the problem, now what caused it? Could it be caused by a pinched food timer wire like you mentioned? Really don't feel comfortable running my streams on the controller now, I don't want to burn up the controller, the streams or my house. Any suggestions?

http://members.cox.net/eusey1/tunze2.JPG
http://members.cox.net/eusey1/tunze.JPG

rvitko
08/08/2007, 11:03 AM
Only 8v at a fraction of an amp goes through that cable, the worst it can do is the same as a 9V battery, it really could not cause a fire. I would suspect the cable got pinched in the door of the stand or was stretched or something similar. They are easily replaced with a MIDI cable from Radio Shack.

TwistedTiger
08/08/2007, 11:19 AM
The wires inside were burned and the outside cover in the pic melted not cut or crimped and it smelled burned before I cut the hole open. It was not near a door or anything but it was stretched to its full length. Is 8v enough to melt through the outer cover if shorted out? Good to know I can easily replace them I just want to know for sure that all problems are solved. Thanks for the replies and good quick catch on the cable.

rvitko
08/08/2007, 11:27 AM
Yes, they do get hot but with low voltage runaway arcing is virtually impossible so the cable can melt in the immediate vicinity but there will not be enough sparking to lead to a fire. I won't say it is impossible but it is an extremely low order of probability.

TwistedTiger
08/08/2007, 11:54 AM
No idea what could have caused the short? Could it have been a pinched timer wire in the case or is it more likely something else?

rvitko
08/08/2007, 12:29 PM
I would suspect being streched the insulation tore.