PDA

View Full Version : ick help please

dragonwoman
08/08/2007, 04:29 PM
HI I have an ick problem because i have corals and a star fish i dont know how to treat .I read lowering salinity but i cant do that with corals ect. Most of the fish have got it and the cleaner has done a good job but i know its spread too far. I just lost a long nose butterfly and dont want any thing else to die. There is no quarintine tank as i have been trying to set 1 up but wont be right for weeks PLEASE HELP.

Percula9
08/08/2007, 04:44 PM
You can put the sick fish in a QT without cycling. Just watch the ammonia level. Do water changes when needed.

bertoni
08/08/2007, 04:51 PM
You might be able to keep fish alive in a quarantine tank without a filter, but I wouldn't count on it. Some Amquel might be handy if you try it.

dragonwoman
08/08/2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks i will get the quarantine tank ready today and Bertoni what is Amquel (treatment?) and can i get it here down under because i havent heard of it . THANKS .

bertoni
08/08/2007, 05:28 PM
Amquel and Prime are products that can bind ammonia, at least a certain amount of it, and make it non-toxic. I don't know what's available in Oz, unfortunately.

Randall_James
08/08/2007, 05:37 PM
here is my collection of links on Ich

http://myreeflinks.com/directory/545.html

Percula9
08/08/2007, 05:40 PM
Just get a hang on back filter. Don't use carbon it will remove any medicant.

dragonwoman
08/08/2007, 06:05 PM
Oh we have prime here is is amquel made by seacam?
Thanks for the help

Roger928
08/08/2007, 06:58 PM
Go to:

http://wetwebmedia.com/mardisindex.htm

Lots of additional info.

Good luck!

wooden_reefer
08/08/2007, 11:02 PM
You may not need to change QT water frequently. If your biological filter had been well-cycled, and if the medium can be partitioned, you may try using a part for QT and a part remaining in ST. Estimate bioload approximately.

This is most possible if you use hyposalinity instead of copper. Some people think that copper deposited on some medium can somehow cause problem later. I doubt very much but am not sure.

bertoni
08/09/2007, 12:41 AM
People have reported long-term issues with copper treatments in display tanks. I wouldn't do it, personally, even in a fish-only setup.

wooden_reefer
08/09/2007, 03:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10513131#post10513131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
People have reported long-term issues with copper treatments in display tanks. I wouldn't do it, personally, even in a fish-only setup.

Like I said, I am not sure on this issue. They may be correct.

I don't know if the copper can leach out into the water if the ph changes or if some invertebrates cannot establish on a substrate that has some copper carbonate on it.

One would avoid using copper on medium intended for reef. May be this is another myth but one would rather not chance it.

In a FO tank I think it is OK.