PDA

View Full Version : water machines at the grocery bad?

1-9-06
08/08/2007, 08:42 PM
I've see and read alot about the quality of ro/di units in (phoenix)arizona not doing the job good enough. would the typical ro/di machines like GLACIER,CULLIGAN,SPARKLETTS be not as good as what we typically strive for in tds. i've been using them all along thinking all the replacement filters would be to much hassle to know exactly when they're bad enough to change and so on. Are these machines typically as high quality as i would like to believe or do they prepare the water just to taste good and have minimal qaulity requirements? and i don't have anything to just go measure their quality! some one surely has tested one somewhere.

Percula9
08/08/2007, 09:17 PM
I have used them many times without any problems.

AZDesertRat
08/08/2007, 10:53 PM
Go to a Water & Ice store that has a person working there. They are usually glad to test the water quality in your presence. Unmanned machines may not be serviced on a regular basis and unless you have a TDS meter you have no way of knowing if its good or bad. Water vendors are not regulated by the Health Dept. here.
I would look at buying your own RO/DI unit though. Stores have RO only and no DI so you are only getting water that is 98% free of contaminants at the very best which you probably will not find anywhere. With your own unit you can get true 0 TDS water and you know personally how good it is each and every time you make it, no guesswork.
Look down in the Reef Club Forums at the Arizona FRAG page and you will see there is a local group buy for RO/DI units and supplies being put together right now. It could save you a chunk of change and will get you better water guaranteed.