PDA

View Full Version : I want YOU to build my next TANK!!

Hurdicuss
08/10/2007, 12:21 AM
Ok, so here is where i am NOW...I currently have a 75g glass tank, 6 x 54w t5 lighting, pair of Coralife 65 skimmers, 45g sump + fuge, lots 'o live rock, many LPS & softies and a growing (pun intended) SPS frag collection with several fish.

And here is what i am thinking NEXT...i am unhappy with some current tank aspects and there are areas where i definately want to improve the design (electrical, water circulation, auto top-off, etc).

Ideally, i would love for my next tank to be my dream (thus far) 240g cube or 240g long but since i wil be in school for at least 3 more years and i do not have my own house yet, i think that dream is better put on hold for now.

I want to re-design my system but since i am doing so i thought it would be a good time to upgrade as well (hehe, typical reefer) and make all the necessary adjustments in the right places to give my buddies more room to grow before we take the trip into the 240. With that in mind and because of school & because i do not have a house, i am leaning in the area of a 100-120g tank. Some preferences i have with this new system: 1) I have never owned an acrylic tank but i keep leaning towards giving one a try (i know, i know...insert glass vs acrylic pros & cons here - i have read them all). 2) I am not a fan of powerheads and other bulky wavemakers within the display so i am wondering if i can achieve desired circulation soley by closed loop. 3) I have not had an auto top-off system incorporated so i would like to. 4) I would also like to incorporate a small frag tank...10-15 gallons or so, nothing large. 5) There are several 125g tanks for sale through my reef club that i could pick up cheap but i think i would rather stick with a 4' tank versus 6'. I think that's about it, or at least that's all i can remember as i type this.

So here is a list of what equipment i already HAVE that i could put to use:

* total of 10 x 54w t5 retro lights w/ seperate reflectors & ballasts
* 2 x 250w MH retro
* Coralife 1090 external pump
* Quiet One 2200
* Sequence Dart (brand new sitting in box just begging to be used!)
* 2 x MJ 1200 modded
* 2 x Coralife 65 skimmers
* ~125lbs encrusted live rock in current display + ~60lbs live rock cycling in seperate container awaiting upgrade or second tank
* ~80-100lbs live sand in current system
* ~40lbs sand cycling with rock in seperate system
* 4 x 1" eductors
* 40g sump/fuge
* phosban reactor

The current idea i am running with at the present is:
120g (48x24x24) acrylic display RR w/ dual overflows/returns, re-use current 45g sump& fuge (or built custom acrylic one), Coralife pump for return (possibly on a spray bar), closed loop w/ Dart pump with eductors, move all sand & rock into new tank, utilize the same skimmer set-up until i can upgrade to a beefier one, and for the lights either go with all t5 or run the MH's with t5's for actinics (could go either way here).

Of course i could always tear down my current tank and drill it and re-build most of the system, but i purchased this tank about 2 years ago used and it is majorly scratched up. I built pretty much everything for this tank with the exception of the two tanks themselves and i don't really want to re-build a stand, etc for the same tank ya know? New is always more exciting! :D

So here is where YOU can chime in and give me your thoughts, advice or plans of what you would do if you were in my position with the same equipment. Plus, i could always be over-looking something or leaving other important aspects out. I always enjoy reading different perspectives and various spins when it comes to designing and critiquing a new system...so FIRE AWAY!! Thanks for taking the time to look.

~J

Trigeek
08/10/2007, 04:56 AM
Hey there Hurdicuss.
First thing I would do is to get an idea of where I wanted this tank to go (i.e. sps dominant or keep your softies and LPS and "sprinkle" the top with sps). If you go toward an sps dominant reef, then I think you'll need more than a closed loop for flow, though it depends on what is driving your CL. Other things falling under this category include the ever important "What types of fish do you want to keep" question. If you like tangs, you will be limited with a 48 inch tank vs a 60 inch tank. Anyway, get a "plan" in place to help use as a guide or vision for your system.

Second thing I would do is to get a handle on what type of lighting you want to use. This goes back to the "overall plan" (see above). I would sell what you aren't going to use along with the two skimmers and buy the best skimmer you can (I would even look for a good used skimmer).

Third - design a kick-a$# refugium to really grow pod and worm and star populations. The larva from these critters will feed your entire tank constantly. If you have room, you could even make it a display (this is in my own longterm plans).

four - any thoughts on a strategy for calcium/mag additives?