PDA

View Full Version : Help making a decision

macdad2718
08/10/2007, 12:50 AM
I have a 40 gallon stretch hex tank and am fixing to update to a larger system. My question is this, I have found two different tanks that I like and was wondering which would be the best choice. One is a 140 gallon reef ready tank with dual overflows. The other is a 150 gallon tank that is cheaper than the 140, but it only has one corner overflow. Since the maximum length I can use is 4.5 ft, these are the largest tanks I can use in that space(that I know of). Would it be better to have more overflows or a greater volume of water? It would be less plumbing with the single overflow and I can always incorporate powerheads for an increase in water movement. If anyone has an opinion on this I will greatly appreciate any and all feedback. One more question, depending on which system that I chose does anyone know where I can get some plumbing schematics or something to help with plumbing a sump to this....thanks again.

Tim

pitt_prodigy
08/10/2007, 01:18 AM
Personally i would go with the dual RR 140g simply because it would stay cleaner and filter off more stuff that gets into the water column. It would also be better for flow as you would have filtration/return coming from 2 different places. True you could achieve this with powerheads... but IMO i try to keep my setup as natural looking as possible.... but this is completely up to you.

The plumbing would require more piping.... but hell, pvc stuff is cheap. As far as actual "schematics" for piping.... that is sort of tough, because each person has different ideas about what will work best with a specific system. True... you could find someone with the same (or relatively similar) tank and copy their system and piping.... but wheres the fun in that? IMO building and assembling the tank is probably one of the best parts or this hobby.... its a DIY'ers dream!

Here is what i did:

1. Look around on here at pictures of plumbing and sump/refug of different systems around the same size as yours. You could also reference some books on marine aquariums that have pics of plumbing.

What do you like about them? What do you think needs to be or could be improved?

2. Get some drafting paper and lay out a scale model (include measurements/dimensions) of your tank and start to draw
a) the sump/refug you will build or buy
b) the tank and overflow(s)
c) how you propose to run piping from sump/refug to the tank.

Paper and pencil are the reefers best friend at this point and will save you a lot of headaches when the time comes to piece things together. Laying it out this way also lets your know roughly how much pipe you will need... and how many elbow peices, valves and connectors you will have to buy (saves running back and forth to Lowes or Home Depot on the build day).

The above is just my opinion and what worked for me. I hope it gives you some ideas. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear. Enjoy!

Percula9
08/10/2007, 08:32 AM
I would choose the dual-flow. As for plumbing I would use flexible tubing unless your experienced with cutting and gluing PVC.