PDA

View Full Version : MH, T-5 or VHO?

rnhrtfan
08/10/2007, 06:57 AM
I am having some trouble deciding on a lighting system for a 75G RR that I am in the panning stages on. The system will primarily hold LPS and softies (maybe but not likely a couple of EASIER SPS) and would like to have a clam or two in the sand bed. I have thought about a pair of 150 DE MH's with actinic supplement but don't really feel that I need the MH's with LPS being the main tank inhabitant and the energy consumption on the MH's is considerably more than that of the VHO and T-5 options. The other option is to use a 6-8 bulb VHO or T-5 setup which would be easier on the energy and produce less heat on the tank but will it be enough light for what I am wanting??? Please help me here. Looking at both options and have access locally to lightly used equipment for both set ups so the initial cost of each a close to a wash. Thanks!

JetCat USA
08/10/2007, 07:15 AM
energy consumption is watt for watt doesn't matter the type of lighting, 250w of T5 uses the same energy as 250w of MH or VHO.

with your intentions of clams a 6 bulb T5 on IceCap ballasts or an 8 bulb T5 on standard ballasts would do nicely w/ SLRs. for just LPS and softies a 4 bulb setup would be sufficient on a standard ballast and you could step up to some SPS like digita with the IceCap ballast on a 4 bulb setup.

senatormoe31
08/10/2007, 01:17 PM
I used VHO for over a decade with Icecaps running them. Now I have T5's over driven by ice caps. SEE RED HOUSE for photo's.
I have a huge amount of light by any standard and can say with absolute certainty that I like the colors created and the variety of bulb spectrums MUCH better than my VHO set up.
I would do 4 X 48" t5's overdriven if I were you and you will be able to keep pretty much anything as far as light needs go.
Also, I suggest using "pure" act along with Act 03 for blue spectrum. Many more colors with the Geissmann "pure" act bulbs.

Entropy
08/10/2007, 01:24 PM
I would join a local club and then visit as many local tanks as you can and decide what looks best to you. I love the glitter lines of single point lighting, so for me halides are the only way to go. You can supplement them with PC/T5/VHO, but I would use any of those without halides.

For a 75g I would go with 2x175w Iwasaki 15k's on IceCap E-ballasts, and either VHO (preferred) or T5 actinics or stand alone if the halides are blue enough for you.

theatrus
08/10/2007, 01:26 PM
I've gone from 250W MH to 6x54W overdriven 80W T5s. I liked both systems honestly, but I like the ability to mix and match bulbs on my new setup a lot. The color seems more "right" than my MH + T5 act setup.

You could do a 5 bulb Aquatinics fixture over your 75G which should be plenty of light for pretty much anything. For light output, you'd be doing better per watt with T5 than VHO. VHO can be had pretty cheap now, and there are still plenty of bulbs out there for it, but it will one day fade in the background.

luke33
08/10/2007, 01:27 PM
With a 75g i'd go with a 6x54w tek fixture as it will cover the whole tank and you will be good for anything in there.

djcerna
08/10/2007, 01:51 PM
I'd go with 5 or 6 T5 with SLR reflectors. That would allow what colors you are looking for to and a 6500K for more growth.
david

rnhrtfan
08/10/2007, 02:07 PM
thanks for the help guys leaning toward the T-5 setup to be honest for the heat or lack of. senatormoe could a single icecap 660 overdrive 4 t-5 bulbs? I have one of those in my sights right now and would like for that to be the only ballast I would need. Also do you have a diagram as to how you wired yours overdriven as this would be my first venture into the world of overdriven fixtures...Thanks again.

luke33
08/10/2007, 02:11 PM
660 will overdrive 4x48" t5's to 80 or 85w a pop. if you get a 660, the wiring diagram will be on there, or you can visit IC's site and print it from tehre..its pretty easy.