PDA

View Full Version : How much space for skimmer in sump refugium?

edacsac
08/10/2007, 10:43 AM
I'm not familiar yet with how a skimmer works or how I have to set it up in the sump/refugium. From what I read, I'm thinking the skimmer will operate in the first chamber. I guess my plan goes as followed: 1 chamber where water enteres over some live rock then gets skimmed, 1 chamber as the refugium (probably the largest), a 3 piece bubble trap, then the return chamber. I'm still deciding between a 36" or 48" x 12" x 20" (trying to stay close to tank size) sump, but now I'm wondering how to fit the skimmer.

I picked up a Red Sea Berlin Turbo Classic brand new for $100, but it looks like it will take up alot of sump space with that protruding pump thing at the bottom. Could someone enlighten me as to how large of a chamber the turbo classic will need inside the sump, or how it works? Can someone share a picture of their sump with a Turbo Classic in it?

SlowCobra
08/10/2007, 11:30 AM
Your skimmer area just needs to be big enough to house the "footprint"(or the total space L x W that it takes up) of the skimmer and still be able to get it in and out if need be.

edacsac
08/10/2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks Todd,

That the problem though. I'm trying to figure out what that footprint is, and what the hell that dangly thing is on my Berlin Turbo that sticks out almost twice the width of the skimmer itself. With that dangly thing, I'll need a 10gal tank all by itself for a skimmer chamber.