PDA

View Full Version : MaxiJet 1200, Broke?

lunatic6772
08/10/2007, 02:41 PM
I just bought a used MJ1200 online, i plugged it in under a bucket of water to see if it worked; and just my luck nothing happened. No flow or anything. Is there anything i can do to fix it w/o having to buy a brand new one online?

dhnguyen
08/10/2007, 02:51 PM
why don't you take it apart and make sure the impeller spins freely on the shaft. Most likely calcium buildup causing it not to spin. If so soak it in vinegar for an hour or so.

Grayout
08/10/2007, 02:55 PM
Good idea regarding the cleaning. The impeller will jam from time to time due to debris. Also, if you lightly tap the magnetic housing with a hammer that seems to "free" up stuck pumps. I know guys that slam theirs to the ground but I wouldn't recommend it.

Entropy
08/10/2007, 03:20 PM
Broke is what you are after getting into this hobby. :p

The pump may be broken, but more than likely just stuck as mentioned above. I would do a vinegar bath on it and then retry.

lunatic6772
08/10/2007, 06:39 PM
I removed the plastic piece on the bottom (where the water enters) and checked and it doesnt seem to have an impeller or a shaft. just a deep hole with a hexegon shaped slot at the end. could the impeller be missing, or did i just not take it apart correctly

BeanAnimal
08/10/2007, 07:41 PM
sounds like you got ripped off....

It is a $20 pump... I honestly would just buy a new one.

RWillieK
08/10/2007, 07:42 PM
Lol - that would explain it - you'll have to run over to your local pet store and pick up an impeller for it.

Robbie

Entropy
08/10/2007, 09:43 PM
Yep that is your problem. You might want to contact the seller just to see if it was an honest mistake (they might have the impellar), but I would say if you can get your money back (Paypal?) do so now. :(

markandkristen
08/10/2007, 09:56 PM
yeah that sounds kinda fishy

you mean thiers nothing when you take the plastic part off.

no magnet or anthing.

did you check the box

lunatic6772
08/10/2007, 10:44 PM
no box or anything, nothing came apart except the plastic top and the plastic part where the water enters. Do they sell MJ1200 impellars at petco or petmart and stuff??

RWillieK
08/11/2007, 07:26 AM
they should have them at either petco or petsmart

BeanAnimal
08/11/2007, 07:30 AM
Honestly... just go buy a new pump. They are $20. The impeller is going to cost you 1/2 as much and you still don't know if the pump is good.

Where did you buy the pump?

lunatic6772
08/11/2007, 01:12 PM
off some guy that was selling his Remora on this website

BeanAnimal
08/12/2007, 06:12 AM
not to rub salt into the wound.. .but how much did you pay?

ccoral
08/13/2007, 10:32 AM
just buy a new pump the impeller will cost about the same. If bought from your lfs you could of returned it.
support your lfs

dhnguyen
08/13/2007, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10542748#post10542748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccoral
just buy a new pump the impeller will cost about the same. If bought from your lfs you could of returned it.
support your lfs

Hmm the LFS I used to frequent charges $35 for a MJ1200 :eek1:

I'll support the local shops but only for livestock not dry goods.

besl
08/13/2007, 10:39 AM
That stinks if a seller sold you a used ph without the impeller without disclosing that, presuming he knew. As Entropy already stated, I would give the Seller the benefit of the doubt and ask him if he forgot to include it - if he plays dumb and doesn't give you your money back, that's a pretty shabby thing to do.

BeanAnimal
08/13/2007, 12:16 PM
the world is full of shabby people who do not think twice about swindling their neighbor. It has become almost accepted by the vast majority of people.

Ehgemus
08/13/2007, 05:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10542788#post10542788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
Hmm the LFS I used to frequent charges $35 for a MJ1200 :eek1:

I'll support the local shops but only for livestock not dry goods. mine charges the same for that pump and they have had 4 pumps on there shelf for a year that I know of.

BeanAnimal
08/13/2007, 05:36 PM
There is no way that an LFS can compete with internet pricing, PERIOD. However, if you do not support your LFS it will go out of buisness and then you will have no place to purchase livestock.

So, like it or not, it is a good idea to break down and spend extra cash at the LFS once in a while. They can not survive selling livestock only.

dhnguyen
08/13/2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah but at $35? C'mon now I wasn't born yesterday.
At that price I expect to be kissed first so to speak :lol:

saleenpwr88
08/13/2007, 05:46 PM
Then the LFS should try to stay competitive with their pricing, not be the cost leader. I think if you could get a MJ1200 online for $20, then it shouldn't be more than $25 in the store, not $35-$40. Once they get you in the store, you might by some livestock, which I'm sure they make a killing on.

BeanAnimal
08/13/2007, 06:28 PM
Open an LFS and see how much markup you have to add to not only keep the lights on, but turn a profit.

Much of the stuff sold online is sold for a margin of a $1 or $2, literally. There overhead is small and there is no customer service, returns or any other crap to deal with.

If you honestly think that an LFS can stay competative with the online discounters, then you have no idea how internet sales work.

They don't make a killing off of livestock... you have it backwards. They have livestock in the store, so that you will purchase the dry goods :D

How many $3 neon tetras do you have to seel at a $1 profit to hapy the help? What about the other 10% that die? What about the 10% of sales that end up getting returned? What about employee theft? Taxes? Water? Electricity?

The reason that the powerhead is $35 is because that is what it needs to be for the LFS to stay profitable.

Sure they can drop the price to $25, but then something else (or everyting else) goes up in price.

dhnguyen
08/13/2007, 06:36 PM
At least in the store I mentioned everything else were up there in prices already Bean.

The only reason why I chose to buy livestock from them wwere because they quarantine their livestock AND also I prefer to see what I am buying. Trust me the livestock prices were at a premium as well. $8 lb. for fiji LR, $29 for a queen conch snail, etc...

BeanAnimal
08/13/2007, 06:41 PM
And if nobody purchased the overpriced dry goods, the store would quickly fold. If they dropped the price of the dry goods to a competative level, they store would eventually fold.

Like it or not, the only way to keep the LFS in business is to purchase their overpriced stuff. It is the price you pay for the convenience of local livestock.

I don't like it any more than the next guy. On the other hand, it helps to spend money localy.

I own a business and would not make it if I charged internet prices for the equipment I sell. It would actualy cost me money.

saleenpwr88
08/13/2007, 07:18 PM
75% more for any product from a LFS vs. an online store just seems a little ridiculous to me. I don't own a LFS or plan on doing so, so I guess I don't know the mark up on the fish either but I will not pay 75% more for convenience. I couldn't agree with you more about supporting local stores, but only to a certain extent. Paying 75% higher makes me seem like I am being taken advantage of, not just supporting the LFS. Just my opinion.

ccoral
08/15/2007, 10:53 AM
Not all LFS are that much more than internet. My LFS stands behind everything they sell so if you have a problem then just take it back to them. Internet if you have a problem after 15-30 days you need to deal with the manufacuutre. Now the 20 dollar pump plus shipping now you have to return that pump 6.00. Plus you do not have a pump. Do you go without or buy a new one, another 20.00 plus shipping. Your LFS would just replace off the shelf problem solved and you get to go see live stock.
Your retail store does make more margin but you get CS and what we all need livestock you can see and verify health.
Just my two cents!