PDA

View Full Version : Make Up Water****Overheated!!!

cashman95
08/10/2007, 03:43 PM
I have my make up water in my garage, and the water temp got up to 99 degrees today, I have since chilled the water back down with Ice Jugs, my question is Will my make up water be ruined by it getting up to 99 degrees. I have many nice pieces of SPS that I dont want to harm by doing a water change with bad water....Please Help!

I am planning on doing a water change by tommorrow morning!!!

Whisperer
08/10/2007, 04:17 PM
I don't think that the chemical composition of water changes with temperature change. However, concetration of solutes may increase given sufficient time for the water to evaporate. I would not hesitate to use it. If it is a pre-mixed saltwater, you might want to recheck the salinity.

cashman95
08/10/2007, 05:09 PM
Sounds great!!!

Thanks

joeychitwood
08/10/2007, 05:12 PM
Is the water storage container covered? I agree with Whisperer. Assuming no contamination, it should be good to use. Check the specific gravity to make sure there was no significant evaporation.

cashman95
08/10/2007, 05:54 PM
yes it is covered. I just made it last night and sometimes it will get up to 85 degrees during the day and cool off at night, but today it just got HOT!

Whisperer
08/10/2007, 06:12 PM
Remember that specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to that of pure water at a specified temperature. Thus, you want to make sure that your water temp is as close to that of the tank water.

mr pink floyd
08/10/2007, 06:34 PM
also, the water will probably have lost all the dissolved oxygen. depending on how much you change in the tank it may have an effect.....

you could swish it around a bit to get the bubbles flowin' in the water of just put an airstone in there

cashman95
08/10/2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks Guys, I have a circulaion pump going all the time in the makeup water, maybe I'll make an air injection nozzle....?

Getting the make up water temp close to tank water temp has always been a priority and woudnt plan on doing elsewise, I just wasnt sure if the water temp getting up around 100 degrees during the day would spoil any of the goodies in the salt(reefcrystals) makeup.

You have been very helpful, Thanks So Much.

AZDesertRat
08/10/2007, 06:59 PM
Here in Phoenix with my RO/DI unit in my garage I have had the same problem more than once, or twice, or....
I fill my 30G Brute trash can, put a large circulation pump like a Seio 1100 in it so it agitates the heck out of the surface and install my clip on fan on the edge of the can blowing into the water. It cools it down to usable temperatures very quickly.

melev
08/10/2007, 09:00 PM
That sounds like a great idea, but what about the fact that while you use the fan to cool it, you blow all kinds of impurities into the water? That is the main reason I've never put a barrel of water in the garage because it would get hot in the summer here.

Winter is fine because I could keep it reasonably sealed and heated with a heater. Then again, sealed means no oxygen.

So it seems like I will always have a barrel mixing in the kitchen at least once a month. :rolleyes:

AZDesertRat
08/10/2007, 09:23 PM
The wife gets a little PO'd when I use the kitchen. I suppose it was the third or foyrth time I flooded it when I forgot the water running into my 5G containers. I got banished to the garage.

melev
08/10/2007, 10:24 PM
The brickwork outside the utility room weeps just a little slower than my RO/DI can produce water. :lol:

So what about my point regarding fans & impurities? Doesn't it defeat the entire purpose of your super clean RO/DI water (99.936% pure) that you're always posting about? ;) Got a solution for that one?

laugh
08/11/2007, 12:33 AM
Many people blow fans directly over their tanks or sumps to cool the water. What would be the difference in doing this before the water goes in the tank? How's that solution?;)

melev
08/11/2007, 12:39 AM
My garage isn't nearly as clean as my fishroom, so that air would be less likely to be contaminated with anything. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but to figure out what can be done.

If my neighbor or some yard service works in the vicinity of my home (5 homes surrounding my house), that stuff they spray or blow around would be airborne and could land in a barrel full of saltwater, especially with a fan pointed at the water.

laugh
08/11/2007, 01:11 AM
Good point about being exposed to outside air, and possibly lawn addditives (read phosphates)
Do you not sleep? I have a good excuse to be up half the night.
I'm supposed to be working!

melev
08/11/2007, 02:02 AM
I'm nocturnal. :) And I'm supposed to be working as well.

laugh
08/11/2007, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I guess there isn't much day work for strippers!

AZDesertRat
08/11/2007, 09:17 AM
My garage is attached to the house and has epoxy coated floors and is fully built out and insulated just like any other room in my house. All chemicals and fertilizers are stored in a detached storage shed in back so I am pretty confident I am not adding much to it. I probably pick up more from the brute than anything else.

OmarD
08/11/2007, 10:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10526147#post10526147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeychitwood
Is the water storage container covered? I agree with Whisperer. Assuming no contamination, it should be good to use. Check the specific gravity to make sure there was no significant evaporation.

Make sure you check sg at tank temperature.

ikaros
08/11/2007, 12:37 PM
my make up water got up to like 90* one time due to a bad heater, i used it anyway and had no issues

cashman95
08/11/2007, 09:06 PM
Well I used the water today, and I am crossoing my fingers....!!!