PDA

View Full Version : How tough are 6lines against ich?

happyface888
08/10/2007, 09:47 PM
Ok I know the procedures of what to do, so spare me and save your time explaining to me the treatments. I am just curious to how well does a 6line wrasse handle ich. Is it pretty tough and can fight it off? Or is it one of thoes fishes that you must fish out to treat? like hippo tang vs 6line. Is the 6line like a blenny? where they have a harder time getting ich and can recover faster than tangs? I would appreciate the info on how well a sixline can tolerate ich. Thanks

craab
08/10/2007, 10:31 PM
they are generally hardy fish. Just make sure he is getting enough to eat and he should be fine with time.

BrokeColoReefer
08/10/2007, 10:41 PM
Six lines are super hardy, IMO.. unless they decide to carpet surf, or concrete surf in my situation.

happyface888
08/10/2007, 10:44 PM
Lol thats a new one concrete surf, thanks for the info, I'll make sure there is no escape, I am using some sort of nylon netting over my top. I find eggcrates kind of ugly. and I heard wrasses flying through eggcrates... My sixline has some ich atm, I hope she recovers.

BrokeColoReefer
08/10/2007, 10:47 PM
Do you have some cleaner shrimp? If its not to bad, i would bet she recovers just fine.

happyface888
08/10/2007, 11:00 PM
Nope, I dont have a cleaner shrimp. Its not too bad from what I am seeing its a few specs here and there, two on the tail a few on its body and a few on its head. My other fish have gone through a bad case of ich but have become pretty good at dealing with it. This 6line was a new addition like 2 days ago.

BrokeColoReefer
08/10/2007, 11:03 PM
try a few cleaner shrimp, they are fairly cheap and will set up cleaning stations and help keep your fish nice and happy :)

happyface888
08/10/2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the tip broke but was wondering is there a alternative to cleaner shrimps? My CB killed the last one so.....

BrokeColoReefer
08/10/2007, 11:15 PM
Hmmm not sure on that one. Im not sure what CB is, i have a copper band and a coral beauty. Neither have touched my pair of cleaners. I do have a ozone generator if and when i get a break out, but that takes a ORP controller, air pumps, blah blah blah.. I would try a few more cleaners, there only about 15 bucks apiece. If they become fish food, o well, it could be worse, after all, i can eat a whole platter of shirmp at the local sea food place ;)

happyface888
08/10/2007, 11:20 PM
Coral beauty ate it for lunch. The wrasse is 2 days old, if its not like a hippo tang than it sounds like it can handle it. I once had a hippo tang that ich bombed my tank, everytime a fish recovered from ich the hippo would spread it to them again and again, the hippo never recovered from ich and killed everything. If the wrasse is tougher than I think she can handle it. The fishes in my tank have delt with small breakouts of ich that last a few days but would go away on its own.

BrokeColoReefer
08/10/2007, 11:23 PM
well your CB needs to go to the time out chair. Monitor the ICH and make sure it doesnt get worse.. if it does, Im sure there are some medications you can buy if you have to, not sure if any are reef safe.

happyface888
08/10/2007, 11:27 PM
Well if what I read is true that sixlines are super hardy fish, than I think it will pull through, it eats and its super fat, must be from pod hunting or something.

BrokeColoReefer
08/10/2007, 11:32 PM
:) good luck! If i liked to gamble, my money would be on the six line surviving.

flyguy7150
08/10/2007, 11:44 PM
are blood fire shrimps cleaner shrimps?? Cause they are my favorite of the shrimps.

happyface888
08/10/2007, 11:51 PM
they are not cleaner shrimps but have some cleaning abilities, cleaner shrimps are also known as skunk shrimp and are the real deal when it comes to cleaning. The blood shrimp cleans but not as much as the skunk shrimp.

flyguy7150
08/11/2007, 01:00 AM
can more than one be put into a tank?

Phisher
08/11/2007, 07:26 AM
Most wrasses secrete excess slime at night when they sleep for protection from predators. I forms a smell proof barrier around the fish. The excess slime keeps ich from being a real problem on these fish in most situations.

That said, if tank conditions are poor and the fish is stressed it can still be overcome by the disease.