PDA

View Full Version : ushio SE question

aquadog11
08/10/2007, 11:06 PM
I just got a pair of ushio SE bulbs.
I was using XM.
Can these bulbs be put in a spider reflector or doe's it have to be enclosed.
Thanks all

PaulErik
08/11/2007, 12:00 AM
Every aquarium mogul base single-ended (SE) aquarium lamp is recommended to be used in an enclosed fixture. Most people do not use an enclosed fixture for SE lamps.

The manufacturers, NEMA and ANSI rate these bulbs as enclosed fixture rated because of the risk of an arc tube rupture or harmful UV exposure from a cracked outer bulb.

aquadog11
08/11/2007, 06:31 PM
BUMP,
Any more opinions
The little boxes they come in sais they should be behind UV glass
I am using spider reflectors
I just don't want harm to come to my beutiful fuzzy sticks.
Thanks all

PaulErik
08/12/2007, 12:02 AM
All major brand SE metal halide lamps have a note on the packaging stating for use in an enclosed fixture with or behind a UV or tempered glass shield.

Many people use the Ushio SE lamps in an open fixture. I’ve personally used them in an open fixture as well.

Again all SE metal halide lamps in the aquarium industry (except for Iwasaki 150-watt SE lamps) are recommended to be used in an enclosed or shielded fixture. This is for safety reasons. Metal halide lamps have a high risk of violently failing once they reach end of life. An enclosed fixture will contain the lamp if it shatters. The shield will also block harmful UV just incase the outer bulb was to fail or crack.