PDA

View Full Version : Filter Help

PJsStuff
08/11/2007, 08:22 AM
I am going to be setting up a larger tank soon (either 6'x36"x25 or 8'x36"x25") and i was wondering if i should use some sort of filter. I was looking at the Lifegaurd filters and was debating if i should get some. Right now on my 75gal tank i don't really have any filter at all. All i have is a sump with some live rock in it and a refugium with a dsb and some plants. Iv never really had any problems. But i haven't had the tank that long, maybe 8 months. what do you guys use? Shoudl i get some sort of filter or just stick with what i use now, no filter?
Thanks for the help!

craab
08/11/2007, 08:33 AM
What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

PJsStuff
08/11/2007, 09:03 AM
A little bit of everything. Lots of corals and lots of fish

craab
08/11/2007, 09:15 AM
I personally do not think you need an additional filter. Just do what you have been doing on a larger scale. You might want to consider a skimmer or RDSB(remote deep sand bed instead of Really deep sand bed). I have a 5 gallon bucket attached to my sump which has about a foot of sand in it with low flow through it. Works wonders on the nitrates since the time the water makes it down to the bottom of the sand bed, the oxygen has been depleted and you have a whole different set of bacteria that consume nitrates there.

PJsStuff
08/11/2007, 09:29 AM
well i do have a skimmer i have the euro reef rc1000

ikaros
08/11/2007, 12:44 PM
on my 210 i have a fuge with the return pump and coralias for added flow, i am planning on going to a wavebox soon and ditching the coralias