PDA

View Full Version : zooanthids srpead?

kevinohio
08/11/2007, 01:27 PM
I have a FOWLR tank with lots of live rock.
The other day I did notice a few zooanthinds sproting up. I assme they were with the live rock.
Will they spread themselves? Or do you have to do something to make or help them spread?

murfman
08/11/2007, 01:38 PM
They will spread on their own.

o.c.d.
08/11/2007, 01:41 PM
they are filter feeders and photosynthetic, some grow fasters than others. In germany they treat them like pests that overtake tanks and kill coral . I have over 30 different specimens all growing at different rates. Some low ,high yellow polyps tend to be the fastest covering and incroaching. to speed up the process you can target feed.

kevinohio
08/11/2007, 01:46 PM
Do you reccomend target feed?
If so what do you use to target feed?
I did get a plynkton feeder mix from kent marine.
At this time there are only about 4 individuals, but they are cool looking. There are orage and green under my blue lights.

o.c.d.
08/11/2007, 02:08 PM
I reccomend it if your looking to speed things up a little.
I've used zooplankton, depending on the size of particals the kent stuff is fine.
if the zoanthid rolls in on its self to swallow its eating

Jeff
08/11/2007, 02:34 PM
Agreed, I spray phyto and cyclopseez into my zoas. It seems to help.

kevinohio
08/11/2007, 02:46 PM
so do you just put a drop os so right on the zoo then? or whats the best way to feed it.
I do have an eye dropper with the feed I have.
Directions say mix a few drops tih 8oz tank wanter stir and put back in the tank.

o.c.d.
08/11/2007, 03:06 PM
shut off all flow then target zoa and try to drop so tenticals can pick up. Your basic ly simulating filterfeeding ,they extend their tentical to catch food. then turn them in to feed on what they caught, usually when the light go out.

schoch79
08/11/2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah they will spread on their own. I personally wouldn't target feed. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but in my opinion I see no need to rush it.