PDA

View Full Version : blakout

yashua
08/11/2007, 01:48 PM
i have newly set up 55 tall.cycled dont have parameters(ran out of tests).a little ro ck about 6 lbs of live rock on top of about 4 lbs of base rock.i have 2 small chromis and do about 10% w/c a week.my w/c are tap water as i am in the process of getting a ro/di unit soon.im sure my tap probably is full of things that algae love(phosphates,silicates,etc.)i also do freshwater planted tanks and run into similar problems.in the salt tank i have a breakout of brown algae,im patient and i know its normal,but i want to knock it down and try to get the coraline to spread.i want to try a blackout to stop the brown and then supplement calcium to build up the coraline.i do have some soft corals ,will the lack of light,say a 3 day blackout kill them or kill my live rock?do you see any holes in my gameplan.thanks

crumbletop
08/11/2007, 01:52 PM
Don't mess with the lighting. Toss in a couple of mexican turbos and they'll take care of it. It will also go away on its own as the tank ages, but the turbos will take care of all kinds of algae, so they are good to have.

yashua
08/11/2007, 01:57 PM
my bad ,i do have 4 turbos 2 margaritas,what should my photoperiod be at this stage.6 hrs?

bertoni
08/11/2007, 02:17 PM
Six hours is probably fine. The bloom should go away in time, especially with cleaner water going into the tank.