PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Sell My System?

Goby1kanobe
08/11/2007, 06:43 PM
Have a 300 Gallon system in excellent condition.

Need a break for personal reasons.

How do I sell this thing? Its has three 400W 20K metal halides, multiple pumps, refuge, sump, 260 gallon tank, over 300lbs of live rock, multitude of frags, soft and hard, fish, crabs, gobies, shrimp...

Too much to list...How do I do this? One thing at a time, or look for a guy to take the whole thing?

Nanook
08/11/2007, 07:54 PM
When you reach 50 posts and 90 days here on Reef Central, you can use the selling forums.

Meanwhile, you can't sell it here.

TIMMYE
08/11/2007, 09:02 PM
It depends on your time frame. If you have time sell piece by piece and you will you come closer to making some & I mean some of your money. If you sell it as a package just to move it, offer a hell of a deal and expect to take a big hit in the check book. I guess I would expect that either way. What I have seen is dry goods go fo 30-60% of new price, and live goods go for 40-75% of purchase price. HTH Tim

Shade00
08/12/2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know that I've ever seen anyone really willing to purchase a whole system unless it is RIDICULOUSLY cheap. The only way you'll get a reasonable amount of your money back is to part it out.

miwoodar
08/12/2007, 10:09 AM
Most people who are unwilling to part it out end up doing so anyways. Shade00 is right. The price on a complete system often has to drop to a rediculous low before the system sells.

If you don't want the hassle of parting it out - maybe you can set up a broker-ish deal with one of your local reefers. He/she can part it out for you. You'll probably make more money even after giving him/her a decent cut for their time.