PDA

View Full Version : Need a kalk reactor

GSMguy
08/11/2007, 08:45 PM
i need a kalk reactor like the thread says the geo seems like the standard at $225.

i allready have tunze osmolator to use it with what should i get?

id like a quality reactor nothing flimsy

sditch
08/12/2007, 01:02 AM
I have the Tunze topoff and it feeds my PM Reactor (about $200) and works great. Just make sure you get a check valve :)

If you have never owned a PM product they are amoung the best built and heavy duty :)

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 07:35 AM
good looking out sditch what features do kalk reactors have that i should look for

i should mention i have no sump this will not be something i want leaking.

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 07:38 AM
whom sells the PM KR620?

looks similar to geo, but my LFS sells GEO so i may go that route unless someone finds0 me a deal.

jmait769
08/12/2007, 09:06 AM
GSMguy - I’m also using a <a href="http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_dosing_pumps_top_off_tunze_osmolator.asp?CartId="target="_blank"> Tunze Osmolator</a> with a <a href="http://www.reeftek.com/Nilsen_Reactor.htm"target="_blank"> ReefTek Kalk Stirrer</a> I got for $179.00. My AC jr controls the mixing pump. If the PH gets to high then the AC will stop the reactor from stirring. I’ve had the ReefTek for a year and the build quality is outstanding. I needed to put mine in the sump area and they worked with me on the dimensions I wanted.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/jmait769/Kalkstir.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/jmait769/TopOffTank.jpg

HTH

Jay

SlowCobra
08/12/2007, 09:22 AM
I just picked up a Precision reactor (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~calcium_reactors_precision_marine_kalkreactor.html) and it is a solidly built item.

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 09:50 AM
looks like im going to have to have it above the tank... needs to gravity feed out? i thought the pressure of the osmolator would force mixed water up to tank ? would i be able to put it next to the tank? or does it need to be higher.

i have the ACjr hooked up o the stirrer or pump and when ph spikes it stops stirring? that sounds good. thats allot of kalk in there...

ive just beeen uing a seio in my ATO resevour to mix kalk with 1tbs kalk per gallon of rodi

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 09:52 AM
Big Questions

What causes ATO disaster?

what stops the ato pump siphoning the kalk back into ATO res?

well looks like i should just get the GEO since its local, no shipping..

Fishbulb2
08/12/2007, 11:16 AM
Most ATO disasters have to do with the float valve not turning off for some reason. Blown float valve or perhaps accumulation of calcium build up and such. An easy way to prevent a good deal of this, is to have your ATO drip rate be as slow as possible so that you would have a long time to catch it. For example, if your ATO flow rate equaled your evaporation rate, then you would not have any problems if your ATo was stuck on. I try to have mine at about half my evaporation rate. Also to prevent back siphoning into the DI reservoir, I just use a simple check valve.

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 11:17 AM
the tunze AtO is very precise i dont expect it to fail.

05nismoz
08/12/2007, 02:10 PM
I have the Tunze Universal Osmolator hooked up to my Geo Kalk reactor. I have it stir 4 times a day for 15 min. I works great. Very well built.

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 02:15 PM
Nismoz do you have the kalk reactor on a timer for that? what kind.

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 02:19 PM
did you get them both at salty critter? nismoz?

05nismoz
08/12/2007, 03:33 PM
I have it on my reef keeper 2. Yes I buy all my dry goods from the salty critter. Some great guys over there.

GSMguy
08/12/2007, 04:04 PM
ill go get one from them.

sditch
08/13/2007, 01:51 PM
GSMGuy,

My osmolator forces the feed thou the Kalk reactor and 3 feet to my top off point. It should feed your tank aswell unless it is very high. Also the checkvalue is what will prevent any Kalk from entering your freash RO supply.

-Sean

GSMguy
08/13/2007, 01:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10544134#post10544134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sditch
GSMGuy,

My osmolator forces the feed thou the Kalk reactor and 3 feet to my top off point. It should feed your tank aswell unless it is very high. Also the checkvalue is what will prevent any Kalk from entering your freash RO supply.

-Sean

it will be less than 3ft i figured that the osmolator would have enough pressure its rated for like 35 feet of headloss.

ShapeGSX
08/13/2007, 02:05 PM
I have an electronic topoff system. It is essentially failsafe.

I have 2 low voltage float switches in my sump. One is at the level I want the water to be. The other one is a couple inches higher than the water level. The one that is higher is a failsafe in case the first switch fails.

These switches are connected in series to a 12V solenoid on my kalk reactor. This solenoid feeds RO water into the reactor. The RO water is pressurized by a 2 gallon pressurized tank. But gravity would work, too.

The power for this comes from a 12V transformer that I got from Radio Shack. The last failsafe bit is that I have the 12V transformer plugged into a digital timer. The timer only provides power to the entire system for 2 minutes every 3 hours. Obviously you would have to tweak this so that your evap rate would be covered by the time that power is applied to the system. For my system, 2 minutes every 3 hours worked. Topoff isn't as gradual, but the timer basically ensures that if both of the float switches fails, I won't come back to a tank full of snow.

GSMguy
08/13/2007, 02:22 PM
shapegsx i have the best ATO on the market with two sensors as well. the pressure will come from the tunze osmolator pump im hoping. if not i will be putting a nice shelf on the wall next to my tank and displaying my handbuilt GEO. :)

got a subaru guy (me) a mitsu guy(shapeGSX) and a nissan guy (o5nismoz) glad to see the import guys have their ATO taken care of lol.

can you race a kalk reactor?

ShapeGSX
08/13/2007, 02:40 PM
Hmm, you remind me that I have to update my signature. I ran an [email protected] a couple years ago. :)

GSMguy
08/13/2007, 02:52 PM
11.82 is a huge improvement good job you still driving the eclipse?

ShapeGSX
08/13/2007, 03:03 PM
I drive it to work every day. I haven't raced yet this year, though. It isn't going to get any faster unless I make some pretty big compromises in drivability or comfort. I'm not willing to do that.

Very fun car. I bought it brand new in 97. :)