PDA

View Full Version : Fish and Temps

Insane Reefer
08/12/2007, 07:00 AM
Hey All :)
Bogo, my Tail Spot Blenny is ready to come out of quarantine :)
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x176/Insane-Reefer/tail-spot-blenny-2.jpg

But I have a question...

With the 100°F+++ weather we have been having this last week and a half, our AC has been running constantly and our interior temp is averaging around 78°F. I'm having to shut it down in the wee hours for an hour or two to allow it to unfreeze.

His q-tank is staying around 80°F, however the Biocube is running 80-85°F. Nothing seems to be suffering, shooms and polyps all look good, but I am worried about putting Bogo in there with those temps.

I'm hoping to make a chiller in the near future, but don't have one now. Will he be ok, or should I keep him in q-tank until the heat-wave breaks (but then what if it happens again?).

Thanks!

InLimbo87
08/12/2007, 07:18 AM
Is there a way to blow a fan over the top of the tank just temporarily until the heat wave subsides? I would be worried about putting him into a tank at 85 degrees, and a small desk fan blowing over the surface could definitely bring you down to the temps that you need.

Also remember that the most dangerous thing about temps are the swings. They should be kept to a minimum to minimize any stress on the fish.

Lenny says "Hi!" ;):

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/InLimbo87/Nanocube%2012%20Gallon/August5021.jpg

Good luck with the new fish. I think we are all longing for the heat waves to end...

Insane Reefer
08/12/2007, 07:38 AM
Now isn't that a coincidence! Two people randomly finding others with the same fish? LOL!

Aren't they some cool little dudes?

My cube has a top on it, like yours does - would I need to lift the hood, do you think, or just blow the fan over the top to carry away the heat?

InLimbo87
08/12/2007, 07:41 AM
I leave the feeding lid flipped open all the time (NC feeding lids are pretty big). Not sure on the size of the lid for you, but you could always do that and just point the fan in there to cool it down. Or, you could prop up the top slightly. Basically, you just need something to make sure that air can get in and cause some evaporative cooling.

And, yes, I love my tailspot blenny! :) Hence, the new avatar.

Good luck with the new fish

Insane Reefer
08/12/2007, 07:53 AM
I will try just keeping the feeding door open today - I'll ice it down to, say 80°? And see if there is an improvement - if not, I'll hit the attic tonight and get the small desk fan.

Thanks!

Insane Reefer
08/12/2007, 02:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10535230#post10535230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InLimbo87
Also remember that the most dangerous thing about temps are the swings.

How much fluctuation are we talking about? The inverts and corals don't seem to mind the +/- 5°F swings - will this be ok for a fish though?
The tank isn't doing anything it normally doesn't do - it is pretty consistently rising and falling 5° every 24 hours (winter or summer) - it is just with this heat wave, we can't get the house down to anything cooler than 78°F, so the base temp has risen from the 78°-82° to the 80°-85° range...