PDA

View Full Version : keeping salt mix fresh

unda_da_see
08/12/2007, 09:17 AM
i have been using instant ocean 50 gallon bags. i do a 2 gallon change every week. i keep the bag tightly closed and only dry hands and scooper go in the bag. this is the 2nd bag that half way through using it the salt mixes but even after it has aged 24 hours there is "snow" in the water and it also has a different odor, not a bad odor but a salty/chemical smell. is it that repeated opening of the bag has allowed humidity to get in which is enough to turn the salt. anyone experience this with instant ocean? tips on keeping the salt dry. thanks.

BeanAnimal
08/12/2007, 10:14 AM
Humidity may be one problem. Some of the compounds may react with the moisture and ions that they are exposed to.

Settling of contents may be another probkem. The salt mix is comprised of many different compounds that have different sizes and weights. They will tend to seperate as they settle. Keeping them mixed up each time you use them may help.

The salt is likely fine to use, but you should be checking the parameters of the change water before you use it. PH, Calcium, Alk, Nitrate, amonia.

ljosh
08/16/2007, 12:45 PM
Buy 1 large bucket of salt then after you use it dump the bags in the bucket

crispyreef
08/16/2007, 02:05 PM
I have had a bucket go cloudy on me before and I think it was due to a swing in alk. I couldn't clear it up so I dumped it. The next bucket came out fine. There could have been something previously in the bucket.

patej
08/17/2007, 09:48 AM
i do the saem,,,keep open bags in a tightly sealed container such as a bucket

Aquarist007
08/17/2007, 10:43 AM
I make up 20 gals at a time in a large plastic garbage can. I keep a power head circulating in there---if there is some settling after that I will rinse out the can after a big water change.

Chad Vossen
08/17/2007, 10:32 PM
i throw a filterbag full of dry rice into my bucket of reef crystals and keep the bucket sealed. when i open it, i take what i need and close it right away. the dry rice is good for absorbing moisture, though it may not even be needed.

loosecannon
09/08/2007, 10:31 PM
what ljosh said.

Fishbulb2
09/09/2007, 07:22 PM
I've also had the same thing happen with a bucket of instant ocean. When I went to mix it, it remained cloudy indefinitely and didn't reach the proper salinity. The alk was very high too. It seems something settled or clumped and changed the composition of the salt. I added more to raise the SG and eventually used it. I had no problems since.