PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 3582000 Twin Automatic Feeding Unit

pjf
08/12/2007, 10:35 AM
I’m considering writing a review of the Eheim 3582000 Twin Automatic Feeding Unit. It uses a screw mechanism to deliver food to your aquarium. I have the following initial impressions of this unit and would like to hear comments from others who own this unit:

• The Eheim 3582000 does not appear to have any ventilating fans despite websites (http://www.aquaristic.net/shop.php/shp/1/cl/details/anid/60e45523bf5a1c7a5.88786530/tpl/-/lang/1/listtype/list) claiming that it has “aeration to keep food dry.”

• Overfeeding may result when small pellet-shaped food is used. I measured the amount of Boyds Vita Diet “slow sinking crumble” that is delivered by the Eheim 3582000. One turn of the Eheim’s screw consistently delivers 1.2 cc (1.2 ml) of the millimeter-diameter pellets.

• Underfeeding may result when flake food is used. I measured the amount of Tropical Marine Flakes that is delivered by the Eheim 3582000. One turn of the Eheim’s screw delivers an average of 1 to 2 flakes, each about the size of a pinky fingernail. Sometimes, no flakes are delivered. I can set the dose to more turns of the screw but this does not give me confidence that it can deliver consistent amounts of flake food.

My questions are:

1. Does a ventilation system help keep food dry considering the fact that the air being fed is moist air from your aquarium? I’d especially like to hear from those who have used the older Eheim 3581 “Feed Air” Autofeeder.

2. Is the lack of a ventilation system a problem with autofeeders?

3. Is there a size, type or shape of food that the Eheim 3582000 is better at delivering with its screw mechanism?

Thanks!