PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads

megs1
08/12/2007, 02:22 PM
Someone asked me recently how long I have had my powerheads in my tank because we were trying to pinpoint a problem I was having. The conversation went on and they recomended changing them after a year or so because they are not as efficient anymore. I guess I am just looking for everyone's opinion.

How often do you change your powerheads or do you suggest changing your powerheads? Thanks!

kau_cinta_ku
08/12/2007, 02:27 PM
mine have been in my tank for 3 years. no need to buy new ones as long as you clean them once a month or 2. just soak them in viniger and water and that will help get the gunk off then use a old toothbrush or something to clean them up.

o.c.d.
08/12/2007, 02:32 PM
Powreheads do lose power to buildup of calcium in the unit. To make them last longer I pull them every one in a while and soak them in vinegar water,givem a scrub,Just like new,You can also replace some impellers if the're damaged.
I only change them when broken.

megs1
08/12/2007, 02:34 PM
I hadn't heard about changing them after a year until recently and that is why I was trying to find out what other people do. I think I will try the vinegar and water before I go out and buy new ones. Thanks for the input.