PDA

View Full Version : Id please

skaterzero22
08/12/2007, 04:53 PM
found some things in my tank in which i think are polyps but im not sure.

here is one example of whats growing
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1435/dsc01453ml9.jpg

and i can't tell if this is part of my LR or something else growing..

center of the picture.. looks like tubes.. kinda like craters
http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/3317/dsc01454zb9.jpg

any ideas?

suppressivefire
08/12/2007, 08:02 PM
Why is this in this thread? last is a dead coral.

skaterzero22
08/12/2007, 08:16 PM
i thought the top picture is the early stage of a zoa.. maybe not.. is it possible that LR from a LFS had dead coral on it? cause i have no coral in my tank yet..

Lord Sevein
08/12/2007, 08:42 PM
skaterzero22,

The first picture looks to be aptasia (otherwise know as a glass anemone). They are really pretty by themselves . . . but WATCH OUT! Although these things aren't dangerous, glass anemones spread like wildfire and sting everything around it -- even your prized corals. They can be killed by injecting them with boiling water, Joe's Juice, or kalk paste. If you don't feel like :uzi: it I would watch it closely.

The second picture looks to be some sort of dead LPS. The coraline algae growing on the rock and on the "polyps" shows that whatever it was is dead now. I have a couple areas on my live rock that have these same shapes on them. They are just skeletons of corals that used to be there before you got the rock. Keep us posted on what you do.

Hope this helps!

-Sevein
:strooper:

skaterzero22
08/12/2007, 08:53 PM
thank you so much.. would an anemones just appear without any intro duction to the tank?

Lord Sevein
08/12/2007, 09:17 PM
No problem :D

To answer your question . . . yes and no.

Of course they are not magic (THANK GOD!) but they were probably introduced to your system and you didn't know it. It could have come from your LR or a new coral that you brought in. It could have even come (in larval form) from the water your fish/LR/corals came from. That's why quarantining, or at least VERY close inspection is a must every time you bring something in your tank. Personally, I try not to get anyone else's water in my tank either. You never know what could be in there.

Keep us posted.

skaterzero22
08/12/2007, 10:16 PM
i have read peppermint shrimp eat aptasia.. had any experience with that?

Lord Sevein
08/12/2007, 10:42 PM
Not personally . . . I actually try to stay away from predator solutions to infestations. There can be computability issues and, once the pest is gone, feeding issues as well. IMO, if there are only a few aptasia, it would just be easier to inject them.

On the other hand I don't see anything wrong with peppermint shrimp. I would research their compatibility with other shrimp and invertebrate species before getting one though.

-Sevein

pepeinthenavy
08/12/2007, 11:38 PM
Yup looks like the peppermint shrimps are in need for your tank!!!

Lytehouse
08/13/2007, 09:32 AM
Peppermint shrimp will feed on aiptasia if they are hungry. If you feed your tank well, they will usually opt for the tasty food first. If you feed minimally, they go scavaging when they get hungry and love a tasty aiptasia..

Good luck

skaterzero22
08/13/2007, 02:00 PM
thank you all.. pepermint shrimp coming in today!