View Full Version : Please help me figure this ballast out

08/12/2007, 05:22 PM
Alright I need help to figure out what kind of ballast I have.

I bought this used ballast from a local guy and it been running for a while.

It is dual 250w blue wave ballast

I dont know if it is electronic or pulse start or probe or HQI. I really dont know the different anyway.

I been running a 14000K phoenix DE 250w bulb on it for 2 months replacing my bad oddysea electronic ballast.

This is what i say on the back of the ballast

Use only MH lamp, T, BT or ED style bulb (what does this mean?)

250watt Max
Model # MH250

120V, 60Hz


Which kind of ballast will run DE? Does this mean this one is HQI as im running DE 250w phoenix on it fine?

Thanx much in advance

08/12/2007, 05:55 PM

08/12/2007, 07:00 PM
can someone help me out please

08/12/2007, 07:29 PM
T, BT and ED stand for the shape of the bulb:

T = Tubular
BT = Bulbous Tubular
ED = Ellipsoidal

All of these lamps are Single-End (SE) metal halide lamps.

M58 is the ANSI code/standard. The ANSI code needs to match the lamp ANSI standard. This assures electrical compatibility between the ballast and lamp.

ANSI M58 is a standard magnetic probe start ballast. It should only be used with Single-Ended ANSI M58 lamps.

Here is an article that has a lamp/ballast ANSI compatibility chart: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php