PDA

View Full Version : Clams-- More or less picky than SPS?

BMMack
10/04/2002, 07:28 AM
As a general rule, I think most aquarists like to wait about 6 months after setting up a new tank before adding their first SPS. I have a two month old tank, and I've got the clam itch. Is the tank still too young for a clam? Right now it only contains a clean up crew and a Hippo Tang.

180g (60x30x24)
2x400 65k Iwasakis 4x110w VHO (2x 50/50 2xactinic)
Myreef MR2 skimmer
Sequence 4600 pump (in basement)

holeinone1972
10/04/2002, 08:16 AM
It is important for your tank to be cycled properly, and for you and your tank to be able to maintain stability. After your initial cycle, you usually will have a diatom bloom, followed by a few algae blooms. Once past this, if your calcium, ph, salinity & temperature can be kept within the expected norms, and be kept stable then you are ready for clams.

The problem is every tank matures differently. Some could be ready a month or two quicker than others. So there is no concrete answer here.

I would encourage you to wait another month or two before placing clams, but you must ultimately make this decision based upon your setup and abilities.

Best of luck, Rob

firechild
10/06/2002, 06:11 AM
Personally I would wait around 6 months before adding a clam to a tank. However, clams are found in fairly "poor" conditions in the wild and as such are fairly hardy in captivity.