PDA

View Full Version : Midas blenny issue..Ideas??

mikeandjenn99
08/12/2007, 06:12 PM
My midas blenny stopped swimming around the day before yesterday, and didn't come out for food. I thought he might have been stuck in a hole where he sleeps sometimes, so I coaxed him out from behind. So now that he's out, he lays on the bottom, and won't swim. I got him to swim up once, but he couldn't stay up, and drifted back to the bottom. His coloration is bright like always, and not dark or stippled like blennies are when they are stressed. His breathing is fine, and he sits upright fine. He doesn't get blown around the tank, or get blown over, so I would be very surprised if he was dying. Could he have lost his swim bladder? Any ideas at all why he would act this way?

mikeandjenn99
08/12/2007, 07:18 PM
^^^^^

Nobody??

rbtwo4
08/12/2007, 07:23 PM
how long have u had it?

mikeandjenn99
08/12/2007, 07:50 PM
Since the beginning of April. Always a very healthy and active fish...

rbtwo4
08/12/2007, 08:06 PM
i read somewhere that sometimes they dont live long cus they need to be paired dunno where the hell i read it but im sure it was here. they say they look like theyre bored dang wish i knew where i read it.

mikeandjenn99
08/13/2007, 01:14 PM
^^^

petoonia
08/13/2007, 02:52 PM
Are there any other fish in the tank, if so how many, and what type? Have you added any new livestock recently? What size tank is it in? Have you added any new supplements, or anything else lately? Is it breathing heavy? Is it eating at all? It sounds like stress to me, something has to be the cause. Also, I would leave it alone, if it's hiding in its hole I would leave it there. Sticking your hand in, or trying to get it to swim around is only going to stress the fish out even more.

I dont think midas blennies are the fish that need to be paired up. I have heard that before , but I dont remember which fish it was. It might have been a goby.

ncreeflover
08/13/2007, 03:03 PM
I know that mine did that but now he sit on the rocks in my tank with my bicolored blenny

mikeandjenn99
08/13/2007, 03:10 PM
The tank is a 55. Other fish in there are an ocellaris clown and a firefish, and all have been in the same amount of time except the clown who has been in a lot longer. The only new livestock is a Green BTA, that was added about 3 days before the blenny started acting up. No scars from a sting or anything that I can see. No new supplements of any kind either. He is not breathing hard at all, actually quite normal breathing. He ate a little food yesterday when I target fed him. Before that, he hadn't eaten when he was in the hole. The only reason I encouraged him to leave his hole was that I thought he was stuck. Otherwise, I wouldn't have messed with him.

petoonia
08/13/2007, 03:29 PM
It's really hard to say what could be wrong. For now just watch it closely. Definitley keep target feeding, if thats the only time it will eat. You could try soaking the food in garlic, selcon, or vita chem. My midas blenny used to love nori sheets. You could try sticking one in maybe it will eat it.

I remeber my midas blenny sat on the bottom of the tank whenever it was really stressed. When we first added it to the tank, it stayed on the bottom for about 2 days.

I hope it gets better soon. I lost my midas blenny a few months ago. They are great fish, definitely one of my favorites.