PDA

View Full Version : Did something die in my tank???

Roy G. Biv
08/12/2007, 07:35 PM
Just looking at the AC and noticed the ORP was low. I looked at the graph and saw that about 8pm tonight, it dropped about 50 points. Any thoughts??

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t251/pmolan/chart2.jpg

Roy G. Biv
08/12/2007, 07:40 PM
Not to brag, but do you guys like how I maintain my tank to a 1/2 degree without a chiller? Any other comments on the other levels welcome.

dougchambers
08/12/2007, 11:52 PM
Nice 0.7° temperature differential, but the pH of 8.73 is completely out of whack! Also not that at the same time your pH started climbing, your ORP started falling.

Strange...

Aquaduck
08/13/2007, 06:32 AM
Looks like around 8:00pm you added buffer or kalkwasser and raised your pH too high. This causes ORP to do the opposite.

Do tell of you secret to keeping a 0.7 degree hysteresis.

Roy G. Biv
08/13/2007, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10541456#post10541456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquaduck
Looks like around 8:00pm you added buffer or kalkwasser and raised your pH too high. This causes ORP to do the opposite.

Do tell of you secret to keeping a 0.7 degree hysteresis.

I have my sump underneath my stairs. I use 1 fan, possibly the greatest fan ever created. Vornado. Found at linens and things. Also I have a bathroom exhaust fan to come on when the vornado does. The logic is that to cool the water you need evaporation. If the fan stays on alone then the air will become too thick with humidity and not cool as effectively anymore. By exhausting the moist air, it makes more room for evaporation. I could probably make the swing a little tighter. I think I have the AC limits at 81.0 and 80.5, so naturally Ill hit 81.1 or 80.4 at some point.

Anyways, that major drop is weird. I forgot I did my normal 2 part at that time. No more, No less. I never noticed that dive before. What is the optimal pH I should be keeping the tank, everyone's opinions here seem so varied. I still dont have the calcium reactor yet, so I need to come up with some dosing pump system until then. I cant justify the $800 reactor I want to my wife.

bill-e
08/13/2007, 08:50 PM
Look normal to me. pH went up a full point and there had to be a corresponding drop in ORP.

My pH hits 8.7 at the peak almost every day...been doing that for 6 years. If the critters look good then don't worry about it.

bill-e
08/13/2007, 08:51 PM
Look normal to me. pH went up a full point and there had to be a corresponding drop in ORP.

My pH hits 8.7 at the peak almost every day...been doing that for 6 years. If the critters look good then don't worry about it.

Aquaduck
08/14/2007, 07:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10544546#post10544546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pmolan
The logic is that to cool the water you need evaporation.

That is one of many ways to cool water. Very cheap effective but can cause you to go through more RO filters. Good approach to evacuating the humid air. Are you venting it outside?

That inverse ph/ORP relationship is normal. Have a look at mine: Status (http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/index.php?userid=Aquadude&scope=today)

I use Randy Holmes Farley's DIY two part Ca and Alk supplement and a n Aquamedic triple dosing pump. Every 6 hours my sump gets a shot. Third dosing pump head is for magnesium.

I sold my Ca reactor after having chronic low pH problems and never looked back. The two part + magnesium is working great. So don't think that you MUST use a Ca reactor.

Roy G. Biv
08/14/2007, 02:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10549355#post10549355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquaduck
That is one of many ways to cool water. Very cheap effective but can cause you to go through more RO filters. Good approach to evacuating the humid air. Are you venting it outside?

I have a bi-level house. Its the kind when you enter the house you are between levels, you must go up or down. The sump room is under the part where you enter, basically its 4'X4'X4'. I have it vented behind the pantry wall into the garage for now. I wanted to wait to drill a hole in the front of my house. Ill see how the moist air affects the garage for now, its not exactly air tight in there.
Also I am going to look into the dosing pumps you mentioned. Thanks.

Roy G. Biv
08/17/2007, 06:03 AM
Wow... Magic. I cleaned all the probes last night in a vinegar solution. Can you guess what time I did this??
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t251/pmolan/gggg.jpg