PDA

View Full Version : mirror background

ictoagsnstii
08/12/2007, 09:08 PM
I have a 100gal saltwater tank and have removed a black background that was painted onto the outside of the glass with intentions of replacing it with a mirror. I know where to get the mirror, etc, but could anyone tell me the best way in which I could attach this mirror to my tank in order for it to stay on and not just fall off?

Gary Majchrzak
08/12/2007, 09:12 PM
you probably already know that a mirror will freak your fishes out, right?

ictoagsnstii
08/12/2007, 09:17 PM
i only have four fish and thats because i have a predator somewhere in the tank. i am sortof hoping that the mirror will help reveal the predator as well as be a background

Gary Majchrzak
08/12/2007, 09:32 PM
do you suspect a mantis shrimp?
perhaps set a trap for it.

I wouldn't recommend permanently attaching a mirror as an aquarium background if you want to keep any fishes. Maybe you can temporarily duct tape it to the back of the aquarium.

talon4x4
08/12/2007, 09:40 PM
I would think certain fish would see themselves as a threat. So I would say a mirror is not a great idea.

Have you checked your water to make sure it wasn't something with pH,nitrate, etc that killed the fish?? With it being eaten, as just something that happened because it died??

ictoagsnstii
08/12/2007, 09:43 PM
im not sure what it is, i poasted images of what i saw of it a long time ago. it basically looks like a bristle worm's arm but it moves like a speeding bullet. so more than likely.... yeah it probuably is but i also suspect its about a foot long. ive seen parts of it, and i saw about 6-8 inches of it but the rest of the creature was still inside of a rock. i would have removed the rock if it werent for the fact that it weighs about 60 lbs. i have tried a trap but had no luck at it. i am still trying but failing as of now. it just keeps killing my fish, which is why i want it out.

NanoReefWanabe
08/12/2007, 09:49 PM
sounds like you have a green or orange brittle starfish in there, voracious hunters...a fresh water dip will get him out of the rock very quickly if it is a star fish...that will likely smoke your Pod population too though in that rock..

reef2
08/12/2007, 09:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10540233#post10540233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ictoagsnstii
im not sure what it is, i poasted images of what i saw of it a long time ago. it basically looks like a bristle worm's arm but it moves like a speeding bullet. so more than likely.... yeah it probuably is but i also suspect its about a foot long. ive seen parts of it, and i saw about 6-8 inches of it but the rest of the creature was still inside of a rock.

i had the same problem turned out to be a huge eunice worm.

ictoagsnstii
08/12/2007, 10:00 PM
how could i fresh water dip a 60 lb rock? and what did you do with a huge eunice worm?

reef2
08/12/2007, 10:10 PM
mine was about 12 inch long. it was only in a rock the size of a softball. so i just took the rock out and smashed it open.

for a 60lb rock fw dip maybe a trashcan or kiddie pool:D

Gary Majchrzak
08/12/2007, 10:13 PM
IMO a trap is still the best option. You'll need to set it at night in a front corner of the aquarium so the critter will come out. Have a net at the ready when you turn on your flashlight.

reef2
08/12/2007, 10:18 PM
i tried a trap and these things never come all the way out of the rock. as soon as they see a light or movement out side of the tank they r gone.

ictoagsnstii
08/12/2007, 10:19 PM
i have set up the 2-liter traps where i cut the neck and turned it inside out and i put food in it. is that ok?

Young Frankenstein
08/13/2007, 08:49 AM
Sounds like the Locknes monster to me............

Steve175
10/03/2010, 11:59 PM
[Frustruatingly another thread hijacked by someone's suppositions rather than from primary experience. :rolleye1:]

Anyone done this with mirror backing? Pics? Did you need to send your fish to therapy?

Sharpie_
10/04/2010, 12:26 AM
I had a friend who did it on a smaller fresh tank (cichhlids) and yes, it did stress them. However, fresh != marine.

Steve175
10/04/2010, 12:33 AM
However, fresh != marine.

You lost me here. You mean not equal? Again, wondering if anyone has experience with this in a reef. I honestly believe that my fish would very quickly acclimate, but want to know whether I am correct from someone who has done it.

khaosinc
10/04/2010, 02:00 AM
A lot of it would depend on the kind of fish you have in the tank. peaceful schooling type fish wouldn't mind it, where as some fish that are more territorial might have a fit and beat themselves in to the back of the tank... Years ago I had something like that set up (again freshwater) and it didn't bother the discus, loaches, and neons (and a huge grump pleco), but it didn't go so well on an african cichlid tank..

If it was a tank w/ PJ cardinals and a goby it would be one answer, but a reef tank w/ an adult Angel and a powder blue tang, I'd say something else.

So what kind of fish are in your tank..

dc
10/04/2010, 06:06 AM
[Frustruatingly another thread hijacked by someone's suppositions rather than from primary experience. :rolleye1:]

Anyone done this with mirror backing? Pics? Did you need to send your fish to therapy?

I'm not sure what the problem is, but going back 2 and 3 years to find threads to complain about is really not acceptable. I'm sure you can find current threads.

BeanAnimal
10/04/2010, 08:21 AM

wow... I replied without ever looking at the date or latest posts. Good grief!

serpentman
10/04/2010, 11:56 AM
Was just posting a response and noticed the dates as well. Anyhow, here goes anyways...

I distinctly remember a diving experience a few years back. My dive partner let his mask fill with water which gave the lens a mirror-like quality. A PO'd damselfish appeared from a nearby rock and relentlessly attacked his mask. It was hilarious and I forever found a deep respect for damsels. Just based on that experience, I would say mirrors are a bad idea.

snorvich
10/09/2010, 03:41 PM
Was just posting a response and noticed the dates as well. Anyhow, here goes anyways...

I distinctly remember a diving experience a few years back. My dive partner let his mask fill with water which gave the lens a mirror-like quality. A PO'd damselfish appeared from a nearby rock and relentlessly attacked his mask. It was hilarious and I forever found a deep respect for damsels. Just based on that experience, I would say mirrors are a bad idea.

Be glad that damselfish was not a Titan Trigger. But I am not sure why this thread was resurrected after this long period of time.

Gary Majchrzak
10/09/2010, 03:54 PM
someone used a certain keyword and username in a search.

In any case....
it's very easy to see if a mirror will freak a fish out: go get a (hand held) mirror and hold it up in front of your fishes!