PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Reef ES5-2

mlivvy
08/12/2007, 09:41 PM
I had a euro-reef es5-2 on my 37 which ofcourse worked excellent. I just got a new pump for it which set me back $90. I purchased a 120 tank and i'm starting the build on it soon but, here's my question..

Just checked the euro-reef site and the skimmer is rated for up to 75 gal. Could I possibly get away with using this skimmer on a 120? What are (if any) the adverse effects of under skimming? Will the skimmer just overwork itself and I get more brown crap?

I really don't feel like skimmer shopping. plus I just got that new pump. But in the end I know it's going to be a bigger skimmer... god i hate and love this hobby. lol

JCTewks
08/12/2007, 11:34 PM
You could set up a system that resmbles a skimmerless natural system, so that any excess organics will be taken care of by bacteria and algea.

mlivvy
08/13/2007, 06:30 PM
what resembles a skimmerless natural system? lr in the sump?

Percula9
08/13/2007, 11:02 PM
Set aside a refugium area in your sump to help deal with the bioload. A skimmer is better than no skimmer. You will probably be okay.

JCTewks
08/13/2007, 11:39 PM
do some research on Jauberts Natural Filtration. live rock, algea, water changes, and low bio loads are part of it.

Ewan
08/14/2007, 05:38 AM
You'll be picking up the slack with other nutrient export techniques. Water changes, macro algae, etc.

As long as you're willing to do the work, and don't have unrealistic stocking expectations, you should be fine.

markandkristen
08/14/2007, 05:51 AM
it also depends on your bioload. that skimmer might work out for you a while and then you might see the need to upgrade. thiers not too much to do to this skimmer as far as upgrades. asm would rate that skimmer for 120 gallons though as far as ratings go.

eagleONE
08/14/2007, 10:48 AM
I second that.

What may help also is modding the skimmer so the water feeds directly into the skimmer. That way, instead of "passively" sucking up poo, it's a direct feed so better skim. But again, it all depends on bioload.