PDA

View Full Version : best retrofit

ZooZ
08/13/2007, 01:18 AM
I want to purchase a MH retrofit for my tank althought im not sure which one i want. I want to keep SPS, and anemone and LPS in a 26g bowfront 24x15x21. Which retrofit would you recomment with which bulb ballast etc. Any links to websites would be appreciated.

Husky_1
08/13/2007, 07:14 AM
At the top of this forum there is are a few sticky threads that may help. Also in the newby forum there is a sticky with lightening info.

I have just done some research and it seems like Double Ended (HQI) setups are the way to go. Apparently, the reflectors are much better than SE, so your resultant PAR is better.

The only thing is you need to make sure you have glass in between the DE bulb and the tank or your risk some UV burning issues.

Also, if you buy an Ice Cap MH ballast you can use them on a variety of setup, so you would not be wasting money.

Lumenarc makes some really nice reflectors.

I am by no means an expert at any of this. I have been in the hobby for about 1 year, and just starting researching MH setups. Luckily Craig (Mkarston) had done some research so I had his help in steering me in the right direction. What it seems, is that like everything else in this hobby, you can go the cheap route or you can go the more expensive route, it just depends on your priorities. Me personally I am concerned with efficiency right now. I would rather pay up front, then pay the reoccurring monthly higher electrical costs, and bulb replacement.