PDA

View Full Version : Causes for death??

dheinze
08/13/2007, 07:31 AM
So I'm confused about why this fish died. Starki Damsel, in QT for 4.5wks; never showed any outward sign of ick, treated with prazipro prophylactically, large wc's every week. Yesterday at 8:45pm, I fed him mysis enriched with vitachem and zoecon; he ate vigorously; at 9:30 I performed a 25% WC with saltwater that was mixed yesterday and has been in the room with the qt tank since then. Before doing the wc, I checked to make sure the salinity was the same, and it checked out. On previous wc's, I checked the ph too, and it always checked out too, so I didn't this time. Well, this morning the fish is dead:confused: . I immediately did an ammonia test on the qt. I don't trust the color code on the test kit, so I did a test on my dt to compare. Both tests are the same color. I did a ph test as well, and can't see any difference. Any ideas?

andrewsmart
08/13/2007, 01:16 PM
i have heard stories of fish chocking to death.

dheinze
08/14/2007, 12:30 PM
I've heard of that too, but always wondered if it really happened. Anyone know how to perform the hemlich for a fish? lol. It sucks though, I hate to lose fish!

GTR
08/15/2007, 12:13 PM
I had a perc I'd had for at least three years take a piece of scallop that was pretty big. Couple hours after feeding I found it up against the overflow teeth with the food stuck in it's mouth. I used tweezers and pulled the food out and it came back to life. But even then it died about two days later. Either the damage was already done or I did it when I pulled the food from it's throat. Either way it seems it was a goner.

SteveU