PDA

View Full Version : need help clearing up water

gotbags-10
08/13/2007, 07:38 PM
i just started a 20 long 2 days ago. I put my water in and mixed my salt and then i put 20 lbs of live sand in. I probably should have put the sand in first because when i dumped it in after it just clouded the water horibly and has made this layer of foam around the rim of the tank and after 2 days it still hasn't died down. I have just an aquaclear 50 for my filter and all i put in it was some bio balls(bacteria still alive of course) that i took out of my 24g ap since the rock in there is well established and didn't need them anymore. I also added about 15lbs of rock to start with. I'm gonna put the filter pad in there at least to try and help but its extremely porous. Would the carbon that came with the filter do anything benneficial to help clear it up? Any ideas?

mr_o98
08/13/2007, 08:00 PM
Add another filter pad to the filter. Pull them out once a day and rinse them to remove the debris. It may take a few days for the water to fully clear up.

Randall_James
08/13/2007, 08:19 PM
the cloudy water is normal, as the bacteria begin to populate the tank, they will "glue" the small particles together and the water will clear. I would not worry about it and at about day 4-7, you will likely see very little of this if the tank is growing bacteria.

The foam is pretty normal too, even freshly mixed salt water will produce some of this foam, the substrate does seem to add to it. If you are running a skimmer, it will pull the organics that cause this.

kaihonu82
08/13/2007, 09:51 PM
you could always do a water change...you don't have anything in there and it's only 20gal..you could just as easily change all the water

did u rinse the sand before you dumped it in there?