PDA

View Full Version : Henry22's 38 gallon

Henry22
08/13/2007, 08:12 PM
Tank size is actually to be determined. Im going off my stand size, its 36"L by 12"W. The current tank I have is 17" tall and that is a 38 gallon but I might end of getting something smaller. The reason for a new tank is that one is really old and scratched up.

This tank is an upgrade from my existing 15 gallon tall reef. I will move over all the water, LR, sand, corals, and the goby.

Equipment:
-Aqua C Remora protein skimmer w/ MJ1200
-MJ 400
-either one hydor koralia 3 or two koralia 1's
-Current USA NOVA extreme 4 x 39w T5 HO( I know the tek unit is alot better but with bulbs its well over 325 when the NOVA is 190)
-two heaters, visi-therm stealth(50w and 100w)

Stock List:
-Orange spotted goby w/ candy cane pistol shrimp
-dwarf angel(cherub or flame)
-sixline wrasse
-clowns(maybe, maybe not)
-Various soft corals
- some LPS
-a couple of cleaner shrimp
-peppermint shrimp
-various snails

Once the carpet goes down in my den the tank is going up. Im also going to be adding a couple more pounds of LR and then some dead base rock. I will put the LR throughout so the base rock will be seeded. I plan on doing two islands with open area around and between. Any suggestions welcome.

Henry22
08/15/2007, 12:04 PM
Im going to go with 2 100w heaters, or is that two much? Im going to definitely get the NOVA T5HO because its 190 unless I can find something better for a really good deal. For circulation beside the remora w/MJ 1200, Im think two Koralia 2's, is that enough?

I will probably buy 15 lbs of LR, and then the rest live base rock(3 $ a lb) and dead base rock and maybe a few pieces from my 15. I dont want to spend a whole lot on LR. I also decided to keep my 15 as I like it in my room but just move the Remora over and keep chemi-pure in a an AC20 on the 15.

Up to date equipment list:
2 100w stealth heaters
2 Koralia 2s
1 Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer w/ MJ 1200
1 Current USA NOVA 4 x 39w T5HO light

The stocking list so far is:
1 flame angel or pygmy cherub(to be added last)
1 Six line wrasse
1 chalk bass
2 clowns or hi fin red banded goby and pistol( I love my pair I might want another)
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
2-3 peppermint shrimp

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks

tigga
08/15/2007, 01:40 PM
no sump?

two heaters are a good idea and i think 2 100W for a 38g is good enough to not boil your tank if one were to go wack

Henry22
08/15/2007, 02:31 PM
I dont want to deal with the plumping, an extra pump and another tank. I also dont want to drill or pay for it. I have seen some sumpless tank in this size and they are pretty good. I might add a CPR aquafuge later on but Im not sure.

How is my stoking list? Im not so sure about the flame angel, I guess I will just have to watch and see if the one I get is a coral nipper. I have had a six line before and he was fine with my shrimp and corals.

Henry22
08/15/2007, 05:32 PM
I just purchased a brand new 38 gallon oak AGA tank. Its 36" x 12" by 20". Its pretty tall but I like it.

At the LFS, they have a JBJ 36" 2 x 96 watt PC light with no moon lights. Its 190, but with a AAA discount it would be 171. Should I get that or the NOVA for 190 which is 4 x 39w T5 HO. Im leaning towards the NOVA because of moon lights and the T5 HO, but Im not sure. How is the build quality of the JBJ, does anyone have one?

LNell
08/15/2007, 07:35 PM
I would definitely go with the t5's. The pc's need replacing about twice as often as the t5's so the $19 extra that you pay now will more than pay for itself later. By the way, I would also save up for the tek lights. I believe Grim Reefer stated that you will get 60% more light with individual reflectors, which the NOVA does not have. But if the price is just too much for you, I understand that as well :)

Henry22
08/15/2007, 08:04 PM
I would definitely fork over an extra 80-100 for a tek fixture, but as they dont come with bulbs, I cant pay 300 plus 80+ for four bulbs. Im not going to be keeping any SPS and any LPS will be kept near the top.
If I was just going to get the light I would do it, but Im also buying two Koralia 2s and two heaters, live rock and sand.
Thanks for the help

Henry22
08/16/2007, 05:27 PM
The stocking list so far is:
1 lemonpeel angel or pygmy cherub(to be added last)
4-5 blue reef chromis
1 chalk bass
2 clowns or hi fin red banded goby and pistol( I love my pair I might want another)
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
2-3 peppermint shrimp