PDA

View Full Version : Tank Grounding

Aliie
08/14/2007, 05:00 AM
I recently bought a grounding probe for my Nano Cube. I had 9.5 volts running thru it. I installed the grounding probe and now when I test the water I get a reading of 124 volts. What's going on? Is it just completeing the current and that is the correct reading now that it's grounded?

Thanks for any help~

Aliie

rbursek
08/14/2007, 06:31 AM
The salt water is completing the circiut, you have to get what ever is leaking the current out of the tank.
Bob

Aliie
08/14/2007, 06:48 AM
Just so I have this clear.

Before the grounding probe was put in 9.5 volts. With the grounding probe it's 124 volts. The tank should read 0 volts?

I was under the impression now that the ground had been applied that the reading should match the socket output.

Can you tell me if I have my leads in the wrong place? The positive should be in the water and the negative in the ground socket hole correct?

I used the screw option on the grounding probe instead of the plug. Will that make a difference?

Billybeau1
08/14/2007, 07:31 AM
Your ground probe is not grounded. The receptacle you are using apparently is not grounded. With the ground probe in the tank, you should be reading 0 voltage.

If the receptacle is grounded, the screw should be grounded as well, unless it it plastic.

When you are measuring the voltage, one probe in the water, where are you putting the other probe ?

Entropy
08/14/2007, 07:46 AM
You should be reading 0 (or close to it) volts when you put one probe in the water, and the other to a ground. A grounding probe gives electricity a preferred place to go (instead of you basically), but should never be used to fix stray voltage. If you have a device leaking voltage into the tank you need to replace it or repair it. I would unplug your nano one plug at a time and figure out which unit is the guilty party and replace it.

Aliie
08/14/2007, 09:14 AM
OKAY!!! Got it. I'll check the by moving the gound to the plug from the screw. Then I'll unplug one plug at a time and see where it is.

One problem......It's an all inclusive Nanocube. Everyhting that it has is built into the system and can't be replaced. Heater is the only add on. I may be loosing my Nanocube which would really bite!!

Entropy
08/14/2007, 09:19 AM
Maybe it is the heater, or you can isolate and fix the issue.

Aliie
08/14/2007, 10:01 AM
I'm sure hoping so. If it's the heater then great if not I'll just go get another tanks and start over. I really can't afford to take down my Nanocube. I use it to grow corals and they seem to like the 9 volt jolt :lol:
This all started because I needed a place to put my clown & goby for a day or so while I tore down the bigger tank to redo it. I may just set up the 10 gal for that if I can't find the problem. I don't want to spend the extra money on a new tank until after MACNA.

cgib831
08/14/2007, 01:16 PM
yeah, sounds like you have a bad ground. did you say you had 2 probes? why? maybe not a good idea, one should be fine. You are testing it correctly though. 9 vlts isn't that extreme though. i believe i had something around there before i installed a probe. That's after I discovered I had a bad powerhead when i stuck my hand in thewater and it shocked the s out of me.

Aliie
08/14/2007, 06:36 PM
Oh my. it shocked you! Mine never shocked me or I'm just a little more shocking than it was. :lol: Only one probe Cgib.

I'm going to start the process of elemination in just a few minutes. Wish me luck~

mr pink floyd
08/14/2007, 07:03 PM
wow, never seen you out of the lounge before!

and its a good chance its the heater, in my 29 i have my T5 ballast in a metal box(grounded) mounted to the top of the canopy, if i rest my right arm on the canopy and reach into the water, specifically where the heater is (fuge) i get a nice tingle going up my arm. i unplugged things until i found it was the heater, so now when i clean it or something i either have to unplug it, or just not touch the ballast box.

Aliie
08/15/2007, 11:47 AM
Shhhh, don't tell anyone or you'll be busted too. :)

MC Lighting
08/15/2007, 11:58 AM
I would verify that the outlet is indeed gorunded and not just a gorunded socket that replaced an old 2 prong (very common bad practice) with your volt meter put the positive into the right side (short slot) and the other into the negative (large slot) you should ready 100-120ish then take the negative side out and apply it to the ground screw and again you should see 110-120ish (same as negative) if you do not then try it in the ground hole if still nothing your outlet is not realy grounded... Also it does sound like now you have given a path for the current leak to go so I would definatly start checking things one at a time and see if you cna pin point it. as others have said with the probe you should be seeing close to 0 volts and also if there is a current leak a gfci should be tripping (but not always the case)