PDA

View Full Version : Question to Geo kalk reactor owners

HDAlien
08/14/2007, 09:22 AM
How is your reactor plumbed? I am using a float that is coming off my RO/DI for top off right now, I would like to use the Geo for top off now. Can I feed the reactor with my RO/DI line and just come out of the reactor into the float for top off? Or if you have it plumbed in differently please tell me.

Thanks.

burris
08/14/2007, 09:49 AM
I don't think the reactor, any of the commercial kalk reactors, is designed to handle pressure. You must put the valve between the purifier and the reactor. Otherwise the reactor will start to leak. Also, running limewater through the float valve will eventually cause it to jam with CaCO3 and fail.

Many reefers will say hooking your purifier directly to your tank is asking for trouble. One day you'll come home to a water covered floor and a freshwater tank. Others swear by it. I have my purifier run through a float valve on a 30 gallon trash can and intend to use a Litermeter (old version) to push the water through the kalk stirrer.

burris
08/14/2007, 09:52 AM
oh yeah, limewater has PH 12 and must be fed into the tank very slowly. Not only to prevent a PH spike but also to prevent localized concentration and precipitation of calcium. I would think a float valve or ATO is too insensitive and would add too much limewater at once. Of course, this is something else that other people do all the time.