PDA

View Full Version : Fish Stocking Suggestions for a 110gal Tall Wanted!

Curlsoc
08/14/2007, 12:26 PM
I'm beginning to contemplate what sort of fish I'd like to add to my tank, and I came up with the following list of ideas. Doesn't mean these will all make it in, just ideas. I prefer to have a smaller sized peaceful group of fish. I also don't have the budget to spend a fortune per fish. It’s a 110 gal, with large amount of LR, maybe more like 90 gal of water space, sand bed of at least 4 1/2 inches deep. The tank is 48 wide x 18 deep x 30 tall. No space for tangs, so please no suggestions for those. Plan to do a mega FOWLER someday, will save the tangs for that. Plenty of caves and hiding spots and sand to burrow in. I plan to do mostly zoas, mushrooms, some soft and LPS, with a little SPS at the top down the line as the tank matures more. I do have a hitchhiker anemone, but the jury is still out at to the kind, although folks seem to lean toward the fact that it is a Condi. That might eliminate the clownfish. Other tanks specs are in my signature line.

Comments/Opinions/Changes/Ideas/Suggestions wanted!!

Pajama Cardinalfish 3 ½ inches
Purple Firefish Pair Male and Female 3 ½ inches each
Diamond Goby 6 inches x 2 - or Dragon Goby 4 inches x 2
Yellowhead Jawfish 1 or 2 - 4 inches May not work with Gobys, too much sand sifting competition?
Tank Bred Ocellaris Clownfish Pair Male and Female 3 ½ inches each
Royal Gramma 3 inches
Fridmani Pseudochromis 3 inches – last addition for sure, this and the Royal Gamma might not work together
Yellow Coris Wrasse 3 inches - possible other options?? Want one that will eat zoa nudis just in case.
Parvirostris Anthias Quad 1 Male 3 Female 4 inches each - Other Anthis suggestions?
Tailspot Blenny 4 inches

And, what would you add first?

Asuran
08/14/2007, 01:01 PM
list looks good... but make sure the top is covered though... i lost a diamond goby that went carpet surfing... but it did make a mess of the tank before going...

the royal gamma and dotty back i would suggest either or as the dotty back is much more aggressive.

instead of yellow wrasse maybe a 6line?

also good call on no tangs... i had a PBT in it and he wasnt too happy with the short distances to swim. maybe a small bristle tooth one like a kole tang may work if you are worried about algea later on or a fox face

InLimbo87
08/14/2007, 01:09 PM
I would start with the least aggressive species to be added first. Specifically, IMO, the tailspot, as they are picked on easily at first and will hide if harassed.

Curlsoc
08/14/2007, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10551729#post10551729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Asuran
list looks good... but make sure the top is covered though... i lost a diamond goby that went carpet surfing... but it did make a mess of the tank before going...

the royal gamma and dotty back i would suggest either or as the dotty back is much more aggressive.

instead of yellow wrasse maybe a 6line?

also good call on no tangs... i had a PBT in it and he wasnt too happy with the short distances to swim. maybe a small bristle tooth one like a kole tang may work if you are worried about algea later on or a fox face

Thanks for the great comments! I have eggcrate on the top, so hopefully I am covered for carpet surfing. If it happens, probably never find them, I have two cats and a dog :)

I'm leaning towards the Orchid Dotty, I specifically picked it since it is supposed to be less agressive than other dottys.

I considered a 6 Line, but I keep hearing people complain about theirs, so I'm hesitant. That's why I was thinking yellow coris..

Manta
08/14/2007, 01:59 PM
from experience make sure the firefish are one of the first additions, if not don't expect to see them too much.

Asuran
08/14/2007, 02:33 PM
the holes in eggcrate are too big... my diamond goby went through the two layers i had in my overflow box at the time... then into the sump... it was about 4inchs long

Curlsoc
08/14/2007, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10552432#post10552432 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Asuran
the holes in eggcrate are too big... my diamond goby went through the two layers i had in my overflow box at the time... then into the sump... it was about 4inchs long

Yikes! Maybe I'll have to add a layer of window screen on top....

Curlsoc
08/15/2007, 09:29 AM
Bump, I'll take more opinions!

darkcirca
08/15/2007, 11:06 AM
I have to say, my firefish were some of my last additions and they are always out and about. I've also never experienced any problems with carpet surfing, yet I have 2 firefish (purple/reg) and a diamond goby. There is usually a reason behind the jumping, either something coming after it, or water conditions. So you aren't guaranteed they will jump if you get them. I try to have top notch water conditions and keep my temperature level, that way I don't create a problem. The only thing that picks on the fish is a male lyretail anthias, and they just hide, as he's too fat to get to them.

I like the idea of the diamond gobies. They are so much fun to watch. I prefer them to some of the other sand sifting fish. Even though they make a mess, they are still interesting. They give the tank a more ocean like look with keeping the sand always changing.