PDA

View Full Version : Adding Base rock

andbigdaddy2
08/14/2007, 02:56 PM
Hey I added another 10lbs of base rock to my 30 gallon that has 30lbs of live rock will this cause another diatom outbreak. also I have been getting this thick brown algae on one of my rocks its diatom brown and when I brush it off its kinda stringy I will post pics soon if i dont get a id or a way to take care of it. I was thinking of doing a 20% water change with RO/DI salt watter with reef buffer. Is this a good idea? or will it cause more probs. Currently there are 5 damsels ( they will be removed next week) in the tank 0 Nitrates 0 Nitrites tank temp 79 calcium is good.

WaterKeeper
08/14/2007, 03:34 PM
Hi Andy,

You can always add base rock without any change in tank conditions. It does sound you are rushing things however as you tank is in the first algae bloom stage. The diatoms, brown algae, will go away but will be replaced by an even luisher growth of green algae.

BTW--Why not keep the school of damsels as they are a good show fish for a small tank?

the cougar
08/14/2007, 03:42 PM
Damsels have a tendancy to be aggressive anti social little bastards. In my opinion you're doing the right thing getting rid of them but i do hope you didn't use them to cycle your tank did you?

andbigdaddy2
08/14/2007, 03:58 PM
No i was holding them for a friend while he moved his tank :) they are easyer to catch in a 30 reef than a 110 FO the tank has been running for 2 months

WaterKeeper
08/15/2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry Big daddy (where did I come up with Andy? :D); I thought you were talking about the 30 gallon.

Cougar,

Many times a small shoal of damsels will coexist in a tank as they tend to fight among themselves rather that their neighbors. They are more aggressive when only one or two are kept in a tank. However, if you plan on some fancy but meek fish then I agree that you shouldn't add them to your tank and..

[welcome]