PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm Fed Up...

reefing102
08/15/2007, 10:25 AM
with people who try to rip lfs's off. We have this regular guy at the lfs i work at. He know that our fish manager knows her stuff and won't buy anything while she's there. (he has yet to test me). Any way, we got in a large shipment yesterday and we got in a few coral. He came in (after our FM left) and asked us if we knew when the corals were going to be 50% off cause they weren't open fully. First our coral never goes on sale except for the employee discount. Second we just got them in. He has ripped us off at least 4 times before by saying that a flame angel was a coral beauty and getting it for $20 instead of $50, He said a mushroom rock was just a piece of LR so he got it for around $10 instead of $35, and a couple other fish and coral. Anyway or regional manager, store manager, fish manager, and me want to ban him from our store but because another employee is against it (cause he knows him) it hasn't happened yet. So ive just stopped selling stuff to him.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent

:blown:

marinelife
08/15/2007, 10:30 AM
hmm, why is it up to the Employee, if the manager wants to do it then they have the right to do it. Why do you guys sell him stuff at different prices because he says they are something else

Travis L. Stevens
08/15/2007, 10:32 AM
It sounds like you're in a larger chain store. That puts a damper on things. I would personally commend the store if they refused service to him. Business is business. If he wants to get a bargain, he can haggle; not lie.

MeuserReef
08/15/2007, 10:33 AM
I would say that if your employees arent able to distinguish between live rock/mushrooms or Coral Beauty/Flame Angel.... they shouldnt be selling corals/fish for you.

Fool me once... shame on you..

Fool me twice... shame on ME

aznlmpulse
08/15/2007, 10:43 AM
I have to agree. If your fellow employee's don't know enough to catch people like him in the act, it's on you guys.

LFS's have a tendancy to over price the hell out of livestock.....and even super glue (my lfs dumped it in a small generic plastic tube, relabled it "reef glue" and jacked it up 300%), so I really don't feel bad for you guys. Hahaha..

I picked up a yuma for 5 bucks, because their stupid employees had it in the generic mushroom tank. Should I have corrected them and paid 100 more? Their stupidity is my gain. The owner rang me up, and even he didn't catch it after counting them.

reefing102
08/15/2007, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10558157#post10558157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
It sounds like you're in a larger chain store. That puts a damper on things. I would personally commend the store if they refused service to him. Business is business. If he wants to get a bargain, he can haggle; not lie.

It is a chain store in ohio.

hmm, why is it up to the Employee, if the manager wants to do it then they have the right to do it. Why do you guys sell him stuff at different prices because he says they are something else

and

I would say that if your employees arent able to distinguish between live rock/mushrooms or Coral Beauty/Flame Angel.... they shouldnt be selling corals/fish for you.

Fool me once... shame on you..

Fool me twice... shame on ME

I completely agree, the reason the others sell him stuff is because their main section is dog and small animals. They are 98% clueless about saltwater. When this happens, the FM and I usually aren't there.

Travis L. Stevens
08/15/2007, 10:55 AM
Two Words: Cross Training. Seriously. It's to the benefit of the employee and the business. The business will benefit by not losing money, and the employee will benefit from the work experience and knowledge base. Granted, I'm sure every employer wants to keep their employees forever, but the best thing an employer can do for the good of the employee is train them enough and give them the knowledge so they can move on to better jobs as the time arises.

MeuserReef
08/15/2007, 11:28 AM
There seems to be a simple resolution to this situation....

its called MANAGEMENT

Der_Iron_Chef
08/15/2007, 12:24 PM
Well, there are two issues: dishonest/sneaky/thieving customer and employees without knowledge. Fix one and the other goes away!