PDA

View Full Version : Do these fish match up?

yoadrienne
08/15/2007, 05:22 PM
I have a flame hawkfish and I want to add a pygmy hawkfish. Will they be ok together?

If not is there any other fish you could recommend for a 20 gallon tank?

Saltwaterstart
08/15/2007, 09:26 PM
Lots of gobies, basslets, clownfish, damsels (if you are looking at an aggressive tank), a few wrasse, and hawkfish are definite 20 gallon possibilities.

I suggest not mixing a pygmy with a flame hawkfish. Most hawks where I come from cost about $50+. I just bought my longnose hawk for $70.00, but he was in a tank with cleaner shrimp, so that's why.:D

You are probably looking at about a 3 fish limit if you are looking for a reef tank, even 2 if you want to keep a low bio load.

Look around in your LFS, and ask about a fish that you like, do your research, and if it is okay, put it into QT.

Grouperhead
08/15/2007, 10:00 PM
In my 20g I have a flame hawk along with a black perc. I tried adding a shrimp goby that was larger than the hawk (hawk is 2") and the hawk didn't like it (in retrospect I should've never chanced it in a 20.) I wouldn't add anything that hangs out in the lower water column with a hawk in a small tank unless it's real tough, like a pseudo.

Saltwaterstart
08/16/2007, 08:44 PM
Try a royal gramma. They are great nano-reef fish, and won't bother the hawk, and the hawk won't bother it.

Hawks are pretty lazy, as I have found out from experience, so a faster fish would work too.