PDA

View Full Version : Standard Green Nephia - looking for help

Swatchguy
08/15/2007, 07:04 PM
Hi, I just picked up a SGN at the recent BAR swap. It's been in my qt since Saturday (8/11). Today I noticed that it's "slouching" quite a bit. I'm wondering if I've placed it too close to the lamps
(Little CoralLife Light). I put it on the top rack. Other perimeters are temp 80, sg 1025 and all other chem tests are ok. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
STEVE

gh0st
08/16/2007, 08:46 AM
Could need more flow also.

Leathers often droop if in to slow of water flow.

Unless he's bleaching it's probably ok lighting wise.

Swatchguy
08/16/2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks GhOst, I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment that it's probably ok "if the SGN is not being bleached."
In fact it was looking a little bleached out, so I moved it down to
bottom of my 10g qt and bingo - it looks much better. Thanks!
Swatchguy

Chads29
08/17/2007, 05:30 PM
my green nepthia seems to like to sway back and forth from the current not really get beaten up by it just enough to keep it moving.

Swatchguy
08/18/2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks, Chad29, I've been moving him around the tank and I think I've found a good, healthy place. I'll know later today when the lights kick in. Thanks again, STEVE

bookfish
08/21/2007, 10:24 AM
BTW, the abbreviation which I put on the cover of that container, "SGN" actually stands for Schmucks green nepthea. Matthew Schmuck was the President of BARE (Bay Area Reef Enthusiasts) which is the club that existed before BAR. The swap pieces were grown out from a colony which I raised from a frag Matt gave me 6 years ago and he's had that lineage 11 or 12 years now. The frags were grown quite close to the surface under high level PC lighting in a friends tank.
This strain of green nepthea, when acclimated to high intensity mh, will attain a brighter neon green color than any other green nepthea morph I've played with. Unfortunately, this treatment seems to slow its growth rate considerably. Any other questions about corals from the swap would probably get answered quicker and more thoroughly here:
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?board=11.0
HTH.-Jim