PDA

View Full Version : need help identifying this hairy hitchiker...

Boca Kris
08/15/2007, 10:28 PM
This little guy has been in my tank since the very first day. He stays in a hole at all times. I have seen him come out twice since I started my tank in March. One time I had a camera nearby and snapped a shot. Didnt come out all that great, but was hoping someone here knew what he was, and if he was safe around the other critters in there.

I got an emerald crab whose much bigger, 3 peppermint shrimp, a hadnfull of snails and blue leg hermits 2 blue chromis...

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n283/DarkGlassImages1/HairyCrab.jpg

seapug
08/15/2007, 10:33 PM
wow. he's definitely something...different. I guess hasn't killed any other crabs or snails, but I'd be really suspicious of that guy. Check the marine crabs section of WetWebmedia.com.

Willjs7
08/15/2007, 11:27 PM
if you ever plan on getting rid of him, there is a person on this forum that studies crabs and I am sure they would take him off your hands. He looks different for sure.

onecrzyboi4u
08/16/2007, 12:09 AM
If your going to do a reef tank .. id get that crab out of there ASAP.

schoch79
08/16/2007, 12:29 AM
I second getting the crab out of there. If you are intent on keeping him though maybe you can put it in a fuge or something at least for the meantime until you find out exactly what it is.

Paintbug
08/16/2007, 08:14 AM
thats an Xanthid crab. possibly a Pilodius sp. not one you would want to keep in the tank.

stuccodude
08/16/2007, 08:29 AM
i have the same crab i found him 2 nights ago and havent added any live rock for 6 months, im glad you got a picture

hmello@bermexin
08/16/2007, 08:34 AM
See if he is in there.

http://flmnh.ufl.edu/reefs/guamimg/crustacea/xanthidae/Page1.html

bobbyblank
08/16/2007, 09:44 AM
I see that your a graphic designer, bravo on the cooool zoom picture work :)

Boca Kris
08/16/2007, 10:37 AM
I actually found out that I can't really do a reef tank because of a lack of space for equipment. Im not worried, at least not right now, about him eating any plants or anything I want to keep. I only have a few snails, hermits, pepp shrimp & 2 chromis. So far, he hasnt bothered anything...of course he is still pretty small compared to everything else. He hasnt grown any since I first spotted him. In comparison, my emerald crab has definitely gotten bigger.

Im not really sure yet what Im gonna do with it. He will be easily removed because he stays in the exact same hole, in the exact same rock on the very edge.

Hopefully he keeps his cool!
If anyone can definitely positively ID him that would be great. I would really like to know more about him!