PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if I'm wrong but....

stingythingy45
08/16/2007, 09:06 AM
If I take skimate directly from the skimmer and check it for nitrates I should get a positive reading right?:confused:
Last night that was the case.I did a 10% water change today just incase and will pick up a test kit tomorrow.

NeveSSL
08/16/2007, 09:25 AM
Why would you want to check the skimate for nitrates?

I would personally think it probably won't have any more or less than your water. I don't think skimmers pull nitrates, although they pull organic compounds that can become nitrates.

Brandon

stingythingy45
08/16/2007, 10:18 AM
I just have a bad feeling about this A.P. nitrate test that came in the Saltwater master liquid test kit.
I've never really registered any nitrate reading with it.The different color yellows are hard to tell apart.Is there a way to test this to see if it is truly working?

hensleyrobw
08/16/2007, 10:26 AM
if your worried about your test kit another from another company to compare

I'mRisenAquaRat
08/16/2007, 10:43 AM
Your tank is probably too new to have any measurable nitrates. You can test some one else's water to check.

stingythingy45
08/16/2007, 10:50 AM
I'm thinking about picking up a Salifert test tomorrow.
Yeah,the tank is not very old.It has very cured LR from a fellow reefers tank and my own 20 gallon in it(56lbs.).It does have a new sand bed also.

seapug
08/16/2007, 12:08 PM
How would you be able to see a color change using a titration test on skimmate? Even wet skimmate should look like very strong tea. Test the tank water, not the waste collection cup.

stingythingy45
08/16/2007, 12:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10566736#post10566736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
How would you be able to see a color change using a titration test on skimmate? Even wet skimmate should look like very strong tea. Test the tank water, not the waste collection cup.

The only difference from the skimmate test and the tankwater test was one had foam on the top.With the API test the color goes from light yellow,dark yellow,orange then red for extreme.
Ummmm.....and I just did this for a test.

danch
08/16/2007, 12:30 PM
The skimmer doesn't pull nitrate out directly - it pulls organic molecules out before nitrate can be decomposed out of them.

stingythingy45
08/16/2007, 01:08 PM
Yes danch,

I realize that now.I was really just looking for some quick way to check my test kit (nitrate).As we are only as good as our test kits as far as water quality goes.All I basically wanted to do was to check my nitrate test solution to see if it was working ok.
I ended up taking a little 10-10-10 fertilizer and mixing it with a little saltwater from the tank.It turned a slight orange.lol
:mixed:

NewGuy168
08/16/2007, 01:16 PM
Hi Guys i just tested my Nitrate level recently and its at 20ppm. my tank is 1 month and 1 week old i got fishes, corals and stuff in there already. i know its best to have it lower but is this ok?

seapug
08/16/2007, 01:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10566851#post10566851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stingythingy45
The only difference from the skimmate test and the tankwater test was one had foam on the top.With the API test the color goes from light yellow,dark yellow,orange then red for extreme.
Ummmm.....and I just did this for a test.

I know this is not the point of this thread, but if your skimmate looks like tank water with foam on top then your skimmer needs adjusting. At the very least it should collect very dark water, at best it should look like tar. What kind of skimmer is it?

Peter Eichler
08/16/2007, 01:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10567379#post10567379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
I know this is not the point of this thread, but if your skimmate looks like tank water with foam on top then your skimmer needs adjusting. At the very least it should collect very dark water, at best it should look like tar. What kind of skimmer is it?

Maybe I'm assuming too much here, but I get the feeling he took some foam from the skimmer and added it to tankwater and then tested it.

seapug
08/16/2007, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10567394#post10567394 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
Maybe I'm assuming too much here, but I get the feeling he took some foam from the skimmer and added it to tankwater and then tested it.

Oh, ok, that would make sense. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

stingythingy45
08/16/2007, 06:21 PM
Yes,I took some skimmate and added it to tankwater.
Also took straight skimmate and checked it(wet skimmate from a CPR Bak Pak with cup set low).:p
Just goofin around trying to find out if nitrate would register on my test kit.I guess my point was"How would we know if the nitrate solution was still good?"
I mean,you can test for amonia by adding a little to seawater and see if it registers.

celano
08/16/2007, 08:17 PM
Nitrate tests are natoriusly innaccurate no matter what test you use. If you follow the AP test kit directions to the tee and I mean right down to the letter then thats the best your gonna get. Unless you wanna get into the high end pin point meters or send your water off to a lab for testing...but both of these options arnt really practical for your everyday reefer.
FWIW skip the Salifert test kit and save yourself some cash. The AP test should be alright.