PDA

View Full Version : two spot goby and bubble algea

lilfishgirl
08/16/2007, 12:41 PM
i recently bought two two spot gobies and on the first night the smaller one ate the bigger. its been about three weeks and i was wondering if anyone has successfully paired any two spot gobies?
i also wanted to read some suggested ways to remove one bubble algae. literally one bubble that has been getting larger for a while id say its about the circumference of a cigarette. thanks

Peter Eichler
08/16/2007, 01:34 PM
Twin spot Gobies are not beginner fish by any means. They can live singly but will do best in pairs. The problem is whether paired or singles they rarely live long. They're very sensitive fish that stress easily and often won't accept prepared foods. They also usually need a large aquarium with a very established sandbed to sustain their diet requirements. So, I say try your best to get the one you have to survive. The chances of you finding another healthy one, having them pair up, and then having them both live for a good amount of time are slim.

Peter Eichler
08/16/2007, 01:36 PM
Whoops, forgot the bubble algae, if you think you can carefully remove it without popping it go for it. Another option would be to take the rock it's on out and try to chip away a little piece of the rock that it's on.

lilfishgirl
08/16/2007, 03:51 PM
thanks for your suggestions. as for the goby since ive had him or her ive been able to train it to chase prepared frozen foods through the water. during feeding i also turn down the current making it easier for him/her to grab the food. he/shes deffinitly gotten fatter since and more patterny since ive had it. ive also got my filter set up so it cleans the whole tank once every six minutes. makes me happy to know i must be doing something right by my goby, being such a sensitive species and what not.
do you know of anyone who has had any luck in getting them to survive for years or pairing them in larger tanks?

Peter Eichler
08/16/2007, 05:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10568335#post10568335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilfishgirl
thanks for your suggestions. as for the goby since ive had him or her ive been able to train it to chase prepared frozen foods through the water. during feeding i also turn down the current making it easier for him/her to grab the food. he/shes deffinitly gotten fatter since and more patterny since ive had it. ive also got my filter set up so it cleans the whole tank once every six minutes. makes me happy to know i must be doing something right by my goby, being such a sensitive species and what not.
do you know of anyone who has had any luck in getting them to survive for years or pairing them in larger tanks?

I'm sure that there are some people out there that has kept one for years. Most of the success stories I've heard involve them lasting a year or two and sometimes slowly starving during that time or mysteriously dying. The fact that yours is eating is certainly a good sign. I suggest that if you add any other fish to make sure they're very peaceful and won't compete much food wise.