PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Goby

Acro
10/05/2002, 10:44 PM
Henry,

Good timing on this article. About 3 months ago I added a yellow goby to my system. I noticed very soon what appeared as this fish picking at the acropora polyps. I payed very close attention to this for the coming days. It became very clear to me this fish is eating the polyps. I then mentioned this to a more experienced reefer and he confirmed that this goby was indeed a polyp eater. I have about 4 different gobies in my system plus the yellow. None are the same as I did not want them mateing in my system. None of the others seem to eat any polyps and clearly eat food in the water column or food that floated into the acro head of chose. The yellow has never made any attempt at eat fish food of any kind but clearly is very full. I have heard perhaps their are two very similiar looking gobies. Whats your take on this?

Thanks, Jamie

Sloeber
10/14/2002, 10:52 PM
hi acro

sorry for the delayed response....RC never sent me a notification.

Whats your take on this?

i think you answered your own question. the more that scientists study this genus, the more it is apperant that even though they may look similiar, it doesn't mean they are the same species. i suspect after more research Gobiodon may be split into 2 genera...polyp eaters and non-polyp eaters. maybe even sub genera.

unfortunitely it is basically impossible for hobbyists to tell the difference prior to purchase/addition.

HTH

henry