PDA

View Full Version : Fish always hide? Add more fish?

homebrewdude
08/17/2007, 10:35 PM
Is it normal for fish to hide all of the time?
Just to poke out of the rock a few seconds a time?

The fish that are out all of the time
Cardinal
Mandrin

Fish that are sometimes out
Flame Angel
Royal Gamma
Black Cap Basslet

Fish that hide
Purple Tang
Yellow Watchman Goby - Never seen it since I put it into the tank.

Any suggestions for more fish?
I was thinking of trying a blue throat again..

jnc914
08/17/2007, 10:50 PM
How have you set up the live rock? Sometimes if you leave too much room between the back of the tank and your live rock, the fish will hang out there instead of up front. You could arrange more caves but set the rock back against the tank wall. It will force the fish out more. Most of the fish mentioned are known to hang in the rocks anyway. Some fish take alot longer to feel comfortable with people coming to the glass.

homebrewdude
08/18/2007, 12:52 PM
My rock is mostly on the back wall.
I notice that the fish hide with the MH lights.
When it is dawn/Dusk they are out more

Sk8r
08/18/2007, 01:09 PM
Your yellow watchman is hiding from the purple tang: mine did, until the tang went bye-bye. A trigger is a fin-nipper, as best I know. I would say go to www.liveaquaria.com and look at the fish compatibility list.

xxseawolf
08/18/2007, 04:07 PM
i had a shy purple tang, coral beauty, sixline wrasse, marine beta, and sqaurespot anthias. all were healthy but hid in the rockwork. they too were more active when my 10k's turned off. i fell in love with a PB tang. after i added him now they all come out in the open(except the marine beta-expensive fish the wife had to have that only comes out when hungry or the moonlights are on). not saying thats an answer but thats what happened.

Eggs
08/18/2007, 08:32 PM
This completely goes against logic, but in the past when I added a fish, it brought out others. Kind of like a social leader at a party.

pezcubano
08/21/2007, 11:16 AM
My yellow watchman has been hiding for days. I even got him a pistol shrimp 3 days ago and he hasn't popped out to say hi!
The pistol shrimp is out and about, especially during feeding time.

lbear
08/21/2007, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10601935#post10601935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pezcubano
My yellow watchman has been hiding for days. I even got him a pistol shrimp 3 days ago and he hasn't popped out to say hi!
The pistol shrimp is out and about, especially during feeding time.

My pistol shrimp hides with my randall's goby. lol I can only see them during feeding time.

My newly acquired bluejaw teigger hides too.

Icil
08/21/2007, 10:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10583632#post10583632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eggs
This completely goes against logic, but in the past when I added a fish, it brought out others. Kind of like a social leader at a party.

This is a common phenomena referred to as dither fish.

Ralph ATL
08/21/2007, 11:07 PM
add a school of dither fish like chomis or something else.