PDA

View Full Version : Copperband butterfly always eat aiptasia?

plancton
08/18/2007, 02:17 PM
Hi, I am planning to buy a copperband butterfly for my 175gal, to get rid of aiptasia infestation.

In the past I had one in my 75 gal and it got rid of all the aiptasia and then it died. I understand they also eat copepods, and I had also a mandarin.

So the first question is; Do copperband butterflies always eat aiptasia?, because otherwise it would be pointless to keep one.

Can I keep one alive?, its a 175 gal, probably full of copepods, but I can't buy copepods in a bottle here in Mexico, and I don't have a fuge with macro, so the copepod population can only get replenish from the display tank LR, I have a huge rock that might produce many copepods.

I assume the reproduction rate of aiptasia will be to low once they all get eaten.

rynon
08/18/2007, 03:24 PM
No they do not always eat aiptasia. Find one from a good store or a highly rated online site who tells you or shows you that it's eating. We've had success with them at the store I work at, they either eat or don't? For your aiptasia you may want to look into the Advanced topic thread "aiptasia revisited".

FloatingFish
08/18/2007, 03:25 PM
No they dont always eat aiptasia. I have one and it does. But from what I undersand its hit or miss. I have had him for around six months and he still hasnt taken any frozen food yet. So he has been living on my pod population.

Good luck

virginiadiver69
08/18/2007, 04:11 PM
I've learned the hard way that putting something in your tank only to take care of a problem (aiptasia, bubble algae, hair algae etc.) is a waste of time. More likely than not "it" will not do what it is supposed to then you are faced with the problem of taking it out of your tank. CBB are finicky eaters. Your best bet is injecting them with kalk paste or one of the many other remedies.

Sk8r
08/18/2007, 04:14 PM
They often eat featherdusters instead, and it's not good to get a fish who's so apt to die. I don't think they eat pods at all. Try some peppermints: get about 5 young ones, small ones, and don't feed for a few days: they'll get the hint, for a lot less grief than a beautiful fish you can't save.