PDA

View Full Version : Firefish fins, help

CyboRob
08/18/2007, 02:55 PM
This fish has been in my q-tank for a week now and overall looks good.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/CyboRob/GM4P9745.jpg

Eating well and active. I've noticed the past couple of days white stuff around a couple of fins. Here are the some pics, not very good but I hope good enough for some help.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/CyboRob/GM4P9760.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/CyboRob/GM4P9765.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/CyboRob/GM4P9727.jpg

CyboRob
08/18/2007, 02:58 PM
Oh and all these pictures where taken today. Just so you don't think he's gone from the first pic to the last since I've had him the past week.

chaffey
08/18/2007, 06:10 PM
add medication to treat the fungus.

itsthesong
08/18/2007, 06:10 PM
Looks like lympotis (sp) usually caused by a virus and most commonly related to poor water quality. I would do a test of the water, and a water change to get the water squeaky clean again. Maybe even run some carbon. Since it is a virus, there is no real cure. It typically, with good water, goes away. But I would keep him in QT and watch.

CyboRob
08/18/2007, 09:14 PM
Ok well I printed out the pictures and headed to the LFS. Came back with Seachem Sulfathiazole.
We shall see how it goes.

Thanks chaffey and itsthesong.

Itsthesong, I've tested the water 4 times this week and today. Zero readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every time.
I have googled lympotis and used the search function here with zero hits. Is that spelled right?

Percula9
08/18/2007, 09:24 PM
Looks like Lymphocystis. Viral in nature, medication will be useless. Fish develop cauliflower tumors on the fins. Good nutrition should fix it.

itsthesong
08/19/2007, 11:10 AM
I would google the lymphocystis, that's the correct spelling of what I mentioned eariler. Sorry for the confusion. Spelling is not my strong point. Best of luck! I would still do a partial water change and start feeding garlic soaked food to boost the immune system.

CyboRob
08/23/2007, 10:59 PM
Update, Firefish was dead when I got home from work today. I followed my LFS advice and the Seachem directions on the meds.

The fish was looking better but after the second dose Tuesday night I awoke to the fish breathing hard Wednesday morning. Tested water and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate still zero. I changed out 20% of the water. Feed the fish and it ate well.

Wednesday night fish was still breathing hard tested water again and all readings still zero. Feed fish and it ate well again.

Thursday morning the fish was vertical bobbing up and down at the top corner of the tank, breathing hard. Readings still zero.

I changed out 40% of the water this time and feed fish again thinking this time it would not eat but it did and hunted down every piece of food.

Home from work, dead fish.

So that's it, my first fish to try my QT setup.

Percula9
08/23/2007, 11:45 PM
Sorry for your loss. Replace him if it will make you feel better. Even the most experienced hobbyist lose fish. Part of the hobby.

CyboRob
08/24/2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Perc, yes I'll pick another up on the way home from work from another store and try again.
This is actually my second firefish (same batch) from my LFS that died. The first one lived about two hours after acclimitation.
The store has been having problems with there circuit breakers so these fish might be stressed to begin with.

We will see how it goes with the next one before I start to worry that it's me that's the problem ..... ehh

Percula9
08/24/2007, 08:29 PM
Definitely buy from some one else if their having problems. Their fish are not healthy to begin with. Better to lose a fire fish then a clown trigger.

CyboRob
08/30/2007, 08:47 PM
Last update for this thread,

New firefish has been in qt for 7 days now and appears very very healthy.

:)

andrewsmart
08/31/2007, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10671951#post10671951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CyboRob
Last update for this thread,

New firefish has been in qt for 7 days now and appears very very healthy.

:)

good to hear and now you know what lymp lookslike and how to treat.

what do you feed best to get some vitamins in during q/t.

Percula9
08/31/2007, 08:03 PM
Good to hear things are going well for the fish. Maintain QT for at least a month.